Mike and Dan come out of the NHL All Star Break with no idea how the Islanders will fare in the crucial next few games and with an epic edition of Master Leaf Theatre.
While the team was on break (sans Mathew Barzal, who was part of the winning All Star team), Lou Lamoriello was making moves, including (officially) hiring Patrick Roy’s new assistant coach, waiving frustrating forward Julien Gauthier and activating both Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech, who might be in the lineup on Monday in Toronto. The Islanders are going to need all hands on deck and a string of wins to get back into the drivers seat in a crowded playoff race.
Will a long leash for Oliver Wahlstrom, a bunch of home games and a French Canadian Revolution be enough?
We have no idea. But we do know that the cringe factor was high during an all-Toronto All Star Weekend, gifting us a three-part Master Leaf Theatre for the ages. At least some players get it, even if the people covering them don’t.
Don’t forget about our live event at the brand new Offside Tavern in NYC on March 30th at 4 pm. Bring your Weird Islanders jerseys, shirts and swag because we want to hear your stories for a live podcast to be released soon after.
- Lots of moves during the All Star break for the Islanders. They’re gonna need the help.
- Here’s Kucherov at the Skills competition for reference:
"This is not a good look, quite frankly. And the fans are booing him. And that's what happens when you don't try your best & you're in a hockey city like Toronto." - John Buccigross on Nikita Kucherov at the NHL All-Star Skills competition ️pic.twitter.com/G03B7uaSvY— Awful Announcing (@awfulannouncing) February 3, 2024
- The insanity of this Buccigross screed is still perplexing to me. Probably always will be.
- LukeFoxJukeBox never misses, even when the spotlight shined the brightest on him.
- Big news for tonight: Guy came home from vacation early.
Ilya Samsonov starts on Monday against the NY Islanders— Mark Masters (@markhmasters) February 4, 2024
Sheldon Keefe notes that the goalie voluntarily cut his Cancun vacation short to get back on the ice early
"That shows me where his head's at & what he's thinking here" @TSN_Edge
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey for t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and The Island merch which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY20 to save 20% off an order of two items.
- The Pinot Project has a Rosé, a Pinot Grigio and a Wine Enthusiast Best Buy Pinot Noir, all under $15 a bottle. Available at local wine stores and UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
- Theme song: “Morning Haze” by Family Dinner. Hear more of their music on Bandcamp and on Spotify.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety, Weird Islanders: The Podcast! and all of our podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. Leave us a five star review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
All Islanders Anxiety podcasts are available on: