Mike and Dan look back at an eventful week for the Islanders and elsewhere, with big wins, a frustrating loss, controversies up north and maybe some light tax evasion.
They start with Saturday’s sleepy loss to Calgary, another missed opportunity for a team that can’t afford any, and how things could have been worse if not for a friendly out-of-town scoreboard. Then they go back to electric wins of the Lightning and Leafs last week that had us believing in Patrick Roy and Patrick Roy loving his new favorite “heart people.” There’s still time, but it gets shorter every day for Roy and the Islanders, and seems all but up for one player.
In the second half, they look ahead to a suddenly important game against the inconsistent Kraken and then Sunday’s Stadium Series tilt against the Rangers. With the Islanders needing every point they can get, the spectacle of the big outdoor stage is all but lost on us. Let’s hope it’s memorable in a good way.
Finally, they get to the madness emanating from Toronto - between the Leafs captain’s battle with the Canadian IRS, to disrespectful empty net goals to a little blindside cross checking between rivals, it’s a lot and had to be memorialized with a new edition of Master Leaf Theatre.
Don’t forget about our live event at the brand new Offside Tavern in NYC on March 30th at 4 pm. Bring your Weird Islanders jerseys, shirts and swag because we want to hear your stories for a live podcast to be released soon after.
- This was a classic. Thank you.
- The old “you haven’t played” defense. Another classic.
- I was going to include it but we went long. For an extra dose of fun, watch the Sportsnet panel discussing the Rielly hit on Grieg. Shoutout Islanders legend Kelly Hrudey for keeping it real.
Does Morgan Rielly deserve a suspension for the play at the end of the game?— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) February 11, 2024
The Hockey Night in Canada panel discuss. pic.twitter.com/yzg1HkfkXp
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey for t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and The Island merch which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY20 to save 20% off an order of two items.
- The Pinot Project has a Rosé, a Pinot Grigio and a Wine Enthusiast Best Buy Pinot Noir, all under $15 a bottle. Available at local wine stores and UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
- Theme song: “Morning Haze” by Family Dinner. Hear more of their music on Bandcamp and on Spotify.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety, Weird Islanders: The Podcast! and all of our podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. Leave us a five star review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
All Islanders Anxiety podcasts are available on: