Mike is back from Mexico, Lane Lambert is finally out and Patrick Roy is the Islanders’ new coach. We try to unpack it all in a special emergency episode.
After a dreadful, dreary loss in overtime a barely AHL-quality Blackhawks squad and some pointed comments afterward, Lou Lamoriello finally decided that his team needed a new voice. So on a Saturday afternoon, he decided to not only pull the trigger but bring in a big name that’s spent years in Junior after a short, mixed NHL coaching stint.
No one saw Patrick Roy - a player who seemed to be on a different planet than the Islanders teams of his hey day - walking through the doors of Northwell Health Ice Center. His first press conference already gave us a lot to talk about but we also discuss why Lambert wasn’t the right fit, what Roy might bring to the job and just how surreal this whole thing is.
Oh, and there’s a game Sunday night against Dallas.
Don’t forget about our live event at the brand new Offside Tavern in NYC on March 30th at 4 pm. Bring your Weird Islanders jerseys, shirts and swag because we want to hear your stories for a live podcast to be released soon after.
- The line will never not be funny.
- The full presser featuring Lou Lamoriello and Patrick Roy.
- Elliotte Friedman’s HNIC segment on other teams sniffing around Roy.
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey for t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and The Island merch which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY20 to save 20% off an order of two items.
- The Pinot Project has a Rosé, a Pinot Grigio and a Wine Enthusiast Best Buy Pinot Noir, all under $15 a bottle. Available at local wine stores and UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
- Theme song: “Morning Haze” by Family Dinner. Hear more of their music on Bandcamp and on Spotify.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety, Weird Islanders: The Podcast! and all of our podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. Leave us a five star review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
All Islanders Anxiety podcasts are available on: