With returning guest Desmond Zantua of the Through the Island podcast, Mike and Dan remember winger Shane Prince, who counted as a big trade deadline acquisition during a dark time and had one very memorable playoff game.
An analytic darling at the time, Prince was seen as a possible steal by GM Garth Snow and a player that just needed more of an opportunity. He got it, but it didn’t translate into a lot of production... until one afternoon in Tampa as the Islanders shocked the Lightning in the first game of their second round playoff series. Sadly, that would be the high point of Prince’s two-plus seasons on Long Island.
Desmond tells us how Prince fit into that flawed but oddly successful 2015-16 Islanders team, how Prince is like a band you were really into in high school and how the now well-traveled winger came to block him on Twitter.
WEIRD BONUS MATERIAL!
- I wrote about the acquisition (and about Prince, who Shane Prince was not) for LHH.
- Some Sens fans were mad at the trade.
- Garik was a fan of Prince’s play-driving abilities. Dom was in favor of giving Prince an opportunity for more.
- Who could forget his two goal game against the Lightning in 2016 playoffs?
- In 16-17, Prince had his best NHL season with five goals and 13 assists. He was in the right place at the right time a few times.
- Injuries became an issue and he missed most of 2017-18 after ankle surgery.
- This goal against the Rangers broke a 29-game goalless streak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_mejMNdUl0
- I made more Prince puns on his way out the door to Switzerland.
- He briefly played for Davos before requesting a release to come back to the NHL. Whoops.
- Whatever happened to him? The KHL happened.
What makes a “Weird Islander?”
We’re always open to suggestions about other Weird Islanders to discuss. Remember the criteria. Candidates must fulfill one of the two of the following:
- Played one (1) season or less for the Islanders or very short stints over multiple seasons.
- Be a veteran NHLer who is not generally associated with his time on Islanders.
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
Visit our friends!
- Vintage Ice Hockey has t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and THE ISLAND merch, which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY to save 15%.
- The Pinot Project has Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Drum sfx via Zapsplat.com.