Joined by comic book writer and historian Keith Dallas, Mike and Dan remember Oklahoma-born defenseman Matt Donovan, who endured many high hopes and trade proposals during his short time with the Islanders.
Seen as a possible replacement to talented captain Mark Streit, Donovan showed signs of stability and flashes of greatness at both the AHL and NHL levels. But his stunted development during a chaotic time in Islanders history meant he never quite got off the ground the way many hoped.
But he was good enough to sit in the press box just in case for a full season and be included in a thousand fan trade proposals, none of which actually came to fruition.
Keith tells us about his unique interactions with Donovan as an Islanders season ticket holder, as well as the story of how the hell he came to own a Matt Donovan jersey.
Thanks again to Keith for coming on. It’s been a long time in the making. Check out his latest comic, Riptide Sanitarium, available on PDF. Or, if you’re more into comic history, his The Flash Companion is a must.
WEIRD BONUS MATERIAL!
- Donovan left Denver after his sophomore season to join the Islanders. Remember when that used to happen?
- Matt Donovan and his home state of Oklahoma will be tied together forever and ever.
- The state gave him a whole day and everything.
- Both of Donovan’s NHL goals are great, just in different ways. His first NHL goal is hilarious:
- And his second is borderline spectacular:
- Sadly, Donovan never became the replacement for Mark Streit that we all hoped.
- No discussion of Matt Donovan would be complete without a mention of how many trade proposals he was a part of, along with Josh Bailey and the 5th overall pick.
- After some time with Nashville, Milwaukee and overseas, Donovan focused on teaching kids about the game. And check out his Squatch Hockey Company.
What makes a “Weird Islander?”
We’re always open to suggestions about other Weird Islanders to discuss. Remember the criteria. Candidates must fulfill one of the two of the following:
- Played one (1) season or less for the Islanders or very short stints over multiple seasons.
- Be a veteran NHLer who is not generally associated with his time on Islanders.
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Pre-order your Bryan Trottier-Mat Barzal “Then & Now” bobblehead from the fine folks at Foco today. These pieces are limited to just 72, so don’t wait. Pre-order today.
Visit our friends!
- Vintage Ice Hockey has t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and THE ISLAND merch, which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY to save 15%.
- The Pinot Project has Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Drum sfx via Zapsplat.com.