In an impromptu milestone episode, Mike and Dan discuss the possible contract extension for GM Lou Lamoriello before diving into an extensive vivisection of the now-eliminated Maple Leafs.
Newsday reports that Lamoriello is expected to get a three-year extension, which is both good and disappointing for a team that’s stable but needs changes. They also discuss goalie Ilya Sorokin’s deserved spot as a finalist (and maybe dark horse winner) of the Vezina Trophy and pay their respects to defenseman Gerry Hart, an integral early Islander, who passed away this week.
But the bulk of the show is about enjoying the end of another Leafs season and the bizarre stalker behavior exhibited by many in the Toronto hockey media. The coverage of the Leafs is a big reason why they generate so much hatred from other fanbases, and nothing brings out the feelings on both sides like their annual playoff flameout. This year’s took a little longer but that just means more angst, more uncertainly for the offseason, more worries for next season, more knives out for the captain and more laughs from us.
All that and it’s episode No. 250. Where else would you be on a Saturday night?
- Here’s Andrew Gross’s article on Lou Lamoriello’s possible (aka nothing official yet) contract extension, believed to be three years.
- Gross’s colleague Neil Best on the Islanders needing change with or without Lou at the helm.
- To the surprise of no one, Ilya Sorokin is a Vezina finalist. Maybe he can be a surprise winner?
- This tweet seemed to resonate with a lot of people:
In the biggest upset in NHL playoff history, a team with zero regular writers at The Athletic has eliminated a team with eight of them. A truly historic feat.— Dan (@cultureoflosing) May 13, 2023
- Rest in Peace, Gerry Hart, a man who was as important to the early Islanders teams as anyone.
- Pre-order your Bryan Trottier-Mat Barzal “Then & Now” bobblehead from the fine folks at Foco today. These pieces are limited to just 72, so don’t wait. Pre-order today.
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, jerseys and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour and “The Island” merch, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. If you spend $50 or more, you can use the code FOURCUPS to get a free “The Island” coffee mug or pint glass or an official Islanders Anxiety puck.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena. Learn more at The Pinot Project.com. Please drink responsibly
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: “Sports” by Josh Spacek.