Mike and Dan look back at a week in which the Islanders won two crucial games, the moment that it all could have come crashing down and Bo Horvat blasting the Canucks.
Not only did they beat the Lightning (!) and the Flyers handily but they kept pace with the Penguins and Panthers who also won their games. They will need to do the same this week in order to qualify for the playoffs, and for a throwback team like the Islanders, it should be no surprise that it comes down to Games 81 and 82.
Ryan Pulock preventing an embarrassing own goal from happening is only the latest “Most Islanders Thing” to happen this season, which has been packed to gills with ridiculous moments. After the game, Bo Horvat decided to use an interview with Shannon Hogan to zing Vancouver, which was the talk of social media all weekend. The line was funny and cutting and shows just how much the Islanders organization has changed from what it was in its Dark Ages of two decades ago.
Finally, they look at the schedules Pittsburgh and Florida have this week and all the horrifying ways this final stretch of the season could play out.
WARNING: Contains adult language and a lot of laughing.
- If you want to ask a question for our next Patreon-exclusive Monthly Mail Bag podcast, you can do it here. You’ll need to be a Country Club tier subscriber to leave a question or hear the episode so sign up today.
- They’re gonna be eating off this in Vancouver for years.
Bo Horvat on #Islesnation and playing at UBS Arena pic.twitter.com/thCi6q7OxC— Isles on MSGSN (@IslesMSGN) April 9, 2023
- Huh. My alma mater’s new coach is a season ticket holder. Who knew?
Rick Pitino, Lou Lamoriello's longtime friend, is an #Isles season ticket holder. pic.twitter.com/mtJoakC59p— (@IslesFix) April 7, 2023
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, jerseys and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour and “The Island” merch, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. If you spend $50 or more, you can use the code FOURCUPS to get a free “The Island” coffee mug or pint glass.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena. Learn more at The Pinot Project.com. Please drink responsibly
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: “Sports” by Josh Spacek.