Joined by Joe Buono, author of children’s book New York Islanders A to Z, Mike and Dan remember Alan Quine, a player whose short time with the Islanders was defined by one monumental playoff goal.
Quine came to Long Island in an unusual way - by getting re-drafted three rounds later than he was originally selected. After productive seasons in the AHL, he got a late-season call up and, a few weeks later, ended up scoring one of the biggest playoff goals in Islanders history in Game 5 against the Panthers in 2016. While the goal that won the series still stirs mixed emotions, Quine’s shining moment makes him a particularly peculiar guest star in a memorable special episode of the 2015-16 season of Islanders hockey.
Joe talks about his memories of Quine’s time with the Islanders, all of the many threads that tied back to him that Spring, and why he didn’t make it into the final version of New York Islanders A to Z.
Thanks again to Joe for coming back on with us. Subscribe to his IslesFix newsletter, listen to his Eyes on Isles podcast and above all, but his book, with fantastic art by Joe Marasic (@GrafixJoker on Twitter), at store.bookbaby.com.
WEIRD BONUS MATERIAL!
- The goal! As called by Howie and Butch:
- The goal again! This time with slightly better video and Chris Cuthbert on the call.
- The goal was so momentous, it got Quine a profile in the New York Times.
- And just like that, he was gone (but he’s still out there!)
- A compliation of Quine’s goals from the 2016-27 season. It was a shame that the follow up wasn’t as exciting as the premiere.
- Preorder your triple player “Line Change” Bobblehead today from the fine folks at FOCO. Featuring likenesses of Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin and Brent Sutter, this is an extra large and fantastic collectable that you won’t want to miss out on. Supplies are VERY limited so preorder yours right now right here: https://www.foco.com/products/bryan-trottier-denis-potvin-brent-sutter-new-york-islanders-line-change-triple-bobblehead
What makes a “Weird Islander?”
We’re always open to suggestions about other Weird Islanders to discuss. Remember the criteria. Candidates must fulfill one of the two of the following:
- Played one (1) season or less for the Islanders or very short stints over multiple seasons.
- Be a veteran NHLer who is not generally associated with his time on Islanders.
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
Visit our friends!
- Vintage Ice Hockey has t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and THE ISLAND merch, which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY to save 15%.
- The Pinot Project has Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: “Knuckles” by Björn Falk. Hear more of his music on Spotify and at Bandcamp.
Drum sfx via Zapsplat.com.