The New York Islanders are on an impressive run, but of course now we’re left to wonder if it can continue if they have to go without Mathew Barzal and Brock Nelson. Will probably get some kind of generic update on Nelson, but it will probably be just “upper body injury” and all we can hope is that he resumes skating now or soon.
UPDATE: Denis Gorman, filling in for Andrew Gross of Newsday, reports Nelson as a full participant at Thursday’s practice. Hooray!
Lee-Horvat-Holmstrom— Denis P. Gorman (@DenisGorman) March 23, 2023
EXTRAS: Bailey, Johnston, Wotherspoon.#NHL #Isles
Just finished with Lambert, who did not have an update on Aho. He did say Barzal is getting “closer.” #NHL #Isles— Denis P. Gorman (@DenisGorman) March 23, 2023
- Hopefully there’s decent news today [ed. See above. There is!], but yesterday was just a day of waiting for word on Brock Nelson. [Newsday]
Nelson said he got six stitches as a result of the Acciari hit. He added that he hasn’t seen the hit.— Denis P. Gorman (@DenisGorman) March 23, 2023
Nelson said, and Lambert confirmed, that the decision not to have him return to Tuesday night’s game was out of an abundance of caution. #NHL #Isles
- Bo Horvat says he hopes someday to again play with Mathew Barzal, who is definitely one of the rea$ons he decided to sign long term. [THN]
- Noodles! Former Isles goalie Jamie McLennan is the latest guest on Isles Talk. [Isles]
- Simon Holmstrom doesn’t regret focusing on defense first — he thinks that was key to getting a longer NHL look — but he’s anxious for his offense to show. [THN]
- Arnaud Durandeau scored two goals in Quebec Province to help Bridgeport beat the Rocket, 5-3. Andy Andreoff also scored, his league-leading 30th. [B-Isles]
Recommended If You Like Silly Art-Sorokin Visual Jokes
SoroKING of Kings #Isles #LGI pic.twitter.com/xo5tPKl2T9— Pageau’s Paddle (@pageau_s) March 22, 2023
Just two games last night in the NHL, but one of them was not ideal as the stupid Avalanche lost in regulation to the Penguins. (Jeff Carter even scored...twice!?) The Pens are in action again tonight in Dallas, while the Panthers host the Leafs.
- Quinn Hughes is not a defensive liability, man. [TSN]
- Jim Nill was concerned his Stars would continue to dip after their Cup final run, but he’s pleased with how they’ve rebounded. [NHL]
- Sheldon Keefe hopes Mitch Marner can help John Tavares produce again. [TSN]
- A mailbag on possible playoff upsets, and what on earth is to come of John Gibson in Anaheim. [NHL]
- Here are some NCAA free agents to keep an eye on. All of them are pronounced “Church-man.” [Sportsnet]
- For the fourth year in a row, an NHLPA poll names Sidney Crosby the “most complete player,” and other random questions. [NHL | Sportsnet]
- Jared Bednar has coached the Avalanche through thick and thin and he’s signed on for three more years. [TSN]
- The QMJHL has decided to “ban” fighting, though it’s unclear exactly what that will entail. What’s it mean for the future of fighting in hockey? [Sportsnet]