Mike and Dan look back at a week that put the Islanders in good position, and ahead towards the California trip that could ruin everything.
First, they revel over a rare “signature win” that helped derail everyone’s favorite wild card hopeful. The victory over the Sabres was the Islanders in their purest form, getting cheers for red line dump-ins from a fanbase that finds them anything but boring, despite how they’re treated by the talking heads we’re forced to deal with. They also look at another hilarious win over the Penguins that exposed how flawed that team is, despite its delusions about itself and its history.
In the second half, they preview a swing on the West Coast that could be doom, the scheduling conspiracy theory working against the Islanders, and the hard shifts we’ll have to put in just to watch them this week. Forget the coffee and take some deep breaths.
Finally, they discuss the Flyers and the orange-robed council of elders that actually runs them.
- Shakira didn’t deserve that.
- MJF might but he’s still better than you (and you know it)
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, jerseys and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour and “The Island” merch, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. If you spend $50 or more, you can use the code FOURCUPS to get a free “The Island” coffee mug or pint glass.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena. Learn more at The Pinot Project.com. Please drink responsibly
- Preorder your triple player “Line Change” Bobblehead today from the fine folks at FOCO. Featuring likenesses of Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin and Brent Sutter, this is an extra large and fantastic collectable that you won’t want to miss out on. Supplies are VERY limited so preorder yours right now right here: https://www.foco.com/products/bryan-trottier-denis-potvin-brent-sutter-new-york-islanders-line-change-triple-bobblehead
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: “Sports” by Josh Spacek.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.