Mike and Dan look back at the Islanders’ three big wins last week and look ahead at the NHL trade deadline while it’s actively happening. With victories over the Penguins and Jets, the Islanders re-established themselves as a playoff contender and actually managed to look like their old selves for one of the few times all season. That they melted a few Pittsburgh beat writer brains made it even more fun. But their makeshift lineup won’t cut it for too long, and despite already having Bo Horvat, they’ll need some pickups.
The second half is dedicated to this week’s trade deadline. Names like Timo Meier and Patrick Kane are either already or almost gone but there are some players out there that might help the Islanders get a little stronger for a possible playoff run. The best thing about this interminable trade deadline is that it’s almost over.
We also made a special announcement about a new step in the future of the show. Starting at noon today, you’ll be able to sign up at Patreon.com/IslandersAnxiety to subscribe to tiers of exclusive content from us including ad-free episodes of the three original shows, two new monthly podcasts, a weekly newsletter from Mike, Islanders Book Club posts from Dan, discounts and much mor. The three original shows will remain free for all as always, but if you’d like lean more, check out the announcement below.
- The full Timo Meier deal to the Devils. That’s what I get for breaking news live on air.
6:00pm - we have officially made a trade pic.twitter.com/m3DbRYmHeE— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) February 27, 2023
- Congrats to Barry (and us, because he’s out the conference):
David Poile, the only general manager in the history of the Nashville Predators, announced today he is going to retire.— Nashville Predators (@PredsNHL) February 26, 2023
Barry Trotz, the franchise’s first-ever and winningest head coach, takes the reins as general manager on July 1, 2023.https://t.co/ExhxARX9OA
- These people have serious brain worms.
Final score: Other Players 4, Penguins 2 (EN) https://t.co/o0lSZ8NB7z— Dan (@cultureoflosing) February 21, 2023
https://t.co/vaDNgQGymt pic.twitter.com/jR0GlqHlR9— Dan (@cultureoflosing) February 21, 2023
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, jerseys and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour and “The Island” merch, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code ANXIETY at checkout to save 15% on your order.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena. Learn more at The Pinot Project.com. Please drink responsibly
- Preorder your triple player “Line Change” Bobblehead today from the fine folks at FOCO. Featuring likenesses of Bryan Trottier, Denis Potvin and Brent Sutter, this is an extra large and fantastic collectable that you won’t want to miss out on. Supplies are VERY limited so preorder yours right now right here: https://www.foco.com/products/bryan-trottier-denis-potvin-brent-sutter-new-york-islanders-line-change-triple-bobblehead
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.