Along with their friend Travis Reilly of hardcore band This is Hell, Mike and Dan remember Micheal Haley, who made a huge impression on Islanders fans thanks mostly to one unforgettable fight night.
Haley wasn’t an Islander for long, but in less than 50 games he became a folk hero and legend that was missed for years. It wasn’t just his fists that made him valuable, either. Haley could grind, skate and (occasionally) score while also taking a big role in the locker room. On February 11, 2011, he took it upon himself to challenge nearly an entire roster of Pittsburgh Penguins in order to avenge his fallen teammates.
Travis tells us why he thinks he’s the “Micheal Haley of band managers,” how a bandmate got him back into hockey after a few years away and why Mario Lemieux’s crying about the NHL’s “garage league” is still hilarious all these years later. WARNING: CONTAINS MUCH CURSING. LISTENER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.
Thanks again to Travis for coming on. We had wanted to have him as a guest for a while and it was great to finally make it happen. Follow him on Twitter at @TravisReilly and check out the bands that he manages if they’re in a town near you.
WEIRD BONUS MATERIAL!
- This was a night no Islanders fan (or Max Talbot) will ever forget. Can you believe it’s been 12 years?:
- Here’s an alternate video of the altercation:
- Haley vs Sean Avery because of course:
- And another Rangers mutant, Stu Bickell:
- Dom nailed Haley’s usefulness in his post-season report card.
- Not every NHL player gets a profile in the New York Times. Micheal Haley did.
- While with the Panthers, Haley entered the NHL’s substance abuse program.
- These days, Haley is an assistant coach with the Sarnia Sting, back where it all started for him.
- Preorder your Anders Lee Reverse Retro Bobblehead today from the fine folks at FOCO. This is a fantastic limited edition collectable that you won’t want to miss out on. Preorders are only open for a few weeks, so get yours in today at this link: https://www.foco.com/products/anders-lee-new-york-islanders-reverse-retro-jersey-bobblehead
What makes a “Weird Islander?”
We’re always open to suggestions about other Weird Islanders to discuss. Remember the criteria. Candidates must fulfill one of the two of the following:
- Played one (1) season or less for the Islanders or very short stints over multiple seasons.
- Be a veteran NHLer who is not generally associated with his time on Islanders.
Visit our friends!
- Vintage Ice Hockey has t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and THE ISLAND merch, which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY to save 15%.
- The Pinot Project has Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Drum sfx via Zapsplat.com.