Joined by Marc Sabourin, aka Sab, aka the creator of one of the best Islanders channels on YouTube, Mike and Dan remember goalie Kevin Poulin, who played less and won more internationally than most realize.
Poulin was pressed into duty on multiple iterations of the Islanders, few of them good. But he was capable of having outstanding games and standing on his head trying to keep the often undermanned or unstructured Isles afloat. After six seasons, many injuries, and a run-in with a future Islanders goalie in only 50 games in blue-and-orange, Poulin bounced around the planet and continued to play. And in 2018, on two international stages, he found the success that would never come to him on The Island.
Sab tells us about following Poulin’s career with the Islanders and Team Canada, how he copes with being an Islanders fan up north, and about his fantastic and indispensable YouTube channel, @sab769. Be sure to subscribe to him there and begin your trek down any number of rabbit holes.
CHECK OUT OUR PATREON PAGE FOR A SPECIAL BONUS CONVERSATION WITH US AND SAB ABOUT LOU LAMORIELLO AND THE ISLANDERS’ CURRENT STATUS.
WEIRD BONUS MATERIAL!
- Remember when Robin Lehner bumped Poulin and almost started a brawl?
- Poulin was around so long he made saves on Jason Arnott
- This is a sick save (with a cameo appearance by the goal post)
- Straight from Sab’s YouTube page: Poulin struggles at first but helps the Islanders get an OT win in Denver in January, 2011.
- And in what Howie Rose called, “the NHL Game of his life,” Poulin made 46 saves in a shootout win over the Sharks in December of 2013:
- Poulin suffered a freak knee cap injury in warmups that cost him the rest of the 2011 season.
- In 2015, he was lost on waivers to Lightning, who soon traded him to Calgary. It was the end of… some kind of era.
- While his NHL numbers are modest, Poulin had a lot of success on the international stage. He led Canada to a Spengler Cup in 2018 including a 3-0 shutout over Switzerland in the final. He went 3-0-0 with a .971 s% and a 1.00 GAA.
- Poulin announced his retirement this September via his Instagram.
What makes a “Weird Islander?”
We’re always open to suggestions about other Weird Islanders to discuss. Remember the criteria. Candidates must fulfill one of the two of the following:
- Played one (1) season or less for the Islanders or very short stints over multiple seasons.
- Be a veteran NHLer who is not generally associated with his time on Islanders.
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
Visit our friends!
- Vintage Ice Hockey for t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and The Island merch which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY20 to save 20% off an order of two items.
- The Pinot Project has Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
- Theme song: “Knuckles” by Björn Falk. Hear more of his music on Spotify and at Bandcamp.
- Drum sfx via Zapsplat.com.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety, Weird Islanders: The Podcast! and all of our podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. Leave us a five star review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
All Islanders Anxiety podcasts are available on: