Mike and Dan discuss the Islanders’ 2-1-0 week that banked them four big points and kept them in the thick of the Metro Division.
In games against the Avalanche and Senators, the Islanders played sloppy and undisciplined, resulting in a loss to one of the best teams in the NHL and a win against a young team with a bunch of distractions. They saw blown leads, costly turnovers, one terrible injury and a slew of careless penalties that made us wonder what anyone (other than Ilya Sorokin, who was brilliant in both) was thinking. Thankfully, they cleaned many of the problems up and had a quality game in Columbus that ended in a 2-0 shutout for a resurgent Semyon Varlamov, and left us in a better mood to end the weekend.
In the second half, we look forward to three upcoming games against beatable opponents that give the Islanders a chance to make some real strides early in the season. The finish by looking at the Bo-for-Beau trade a few months later, and at ESPN’s Frozen Frenzy, a good idea marred by the ESPNness of it all.
- We’re referencing ourselves! Here’s the episode Mike mentioned after the losses to the Lightning and Panthers last season.
- And the episode following that dreary, dreadful loss to the Caps that made the playoffs seem out of reach.
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey for t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and The Island merch which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY20 to save 20% off an order of two items.
- The Pinot Project has a Rosé, a Pinot Grigio and a Wine Enthusiast Best Buy Pinot Noir, all under $15 a bottle. Available at local wine stores and UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
- Theme song: “Morning Haze” by Family Dinner. Hear more of their music on Bandcamp and on Spotify.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. Leave us a five star review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Islanders Anxiety is available on: