Mike and Dan recap the Islanders opening night win over Buffalo and the loss of Ross Johnston, and debut a new bit, “Master Leaf Theatre.”
The victory over the Sabres, the Islanders’ first win in an at-home opener in almost 30 years, had some great performances and some spotty ones, but as far as season opening games go, was very satisfying. Bo Horvat didn’t get on the scoresheet, but his game and acclimation to Long Island over the summer bodes well for the future.
In the second half, the hosts discuss the loss of Ross Johnston on waivers to the Anaheim Ducks and how he was an Islanders Legend in his way. Then they formalize a new and occasionally recurring segment called, “Master Leaf Theatre,” in which they perform dramatic readings of reports/fan fic from the Leafs Land. “Master Leaf Theatre” might not always be about Toronto in the future but its spirit certainly runs through it.
Other topics include Buffalo watchers melting down (again) about a loss to the Islanders, “culture changes” and another “tidy piece of business” for The Athletic’s hockey side.
- Horvat on Vancouver vs Long Island [NY Post]
- Well said, Zeeker.
Asked Casey Cizikas whether he knew the stat that #Isles hadn't won a season opener at home since 1995.— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) October 15, 2023
Said Cizikas, "It's changed now."
- Quite a line up. Needs more Mark Masters. Gentille is more of a Penguins guy.
Congratulation to the Athletic on hiring its 12th member of the Toronto beat. Absolutely stacked down the middle.— budlightlyman (@budlightlyman) October 16, 2023
David Alter-jonas siegel-Omar white https://t.co/YdsRvhMKro
Subscribe to our Patreon! Plans start as low as $2 a month and patrons get ad-free episodes of the shows, bonus podcasts, written posts, discounts and much more.
- Vintage Ice Hockey for t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and The Island merch which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY20 to save 20% off an order of two items.
- The Pinot Project has a Rosé, a Pinot Grigio and a Wine Enthusiast Best Buy Pinot Noir, all under $15 a bottle. Available at local wine stores and UBS Arena.
- Islanders Anxiety podcasts are part of the Fans First Sports Network (@FansFirstSN).
- Theme song: “Morning Haze” by Family Dinner. Hear more of their music on Bandcamp and on Spotify.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. Leave us a five star review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Islanders Anxiety is available on: