The New York Islanders play game no. 41 tonight, so they will be halfway through their season when they go to bed. Time flies.
The Islanders, through half a season, are right where we all would have projected: middling and on the bubble. Last night was a pretty good example of this team at its worst; that homestand that seems like a distant memory but that really ended just a week ago is this team at its best. And you never know who you’re going to get.
About last night:
- The problem with starting slow is that sometimes the game is out of reach before you can even get going. [LHH]
- Mathew Barzal scored yet again, and Cal Clutterbuck scored in his return, but it wasn’t enough to mount a comeback. [Islanders]
- As I mentioned before the game, the Oilers were pissed off and looking to prove something. [Sportsnet]
- The Islanders simply were not prepared for it, again. [Newsday]
- And they did themselves no favors by not registering a single high-danger chance. Oof. [NYI Skinny]
Quickly moving on:
- A preview of tonight’s game in Calgary. [Islanders]
- Brock Nelson is your New York Islanders All-Star, his first career selection and well-deserved. [Islanders]
- Story on Clutterbuck’s return. [Isles DTD]
- Andrew Gross hosted another episode of Island Ice with a lighter mood since it was fresh off Tuesday’s win. He spoke to Barzal, Noah Dobson, and you! [Island Ice Ep. 151]
- Happy 23rd birthday, Alex Romanov. His D-partner, Dobson, turns 23 tomorrow. Two dudes born a day apart from one another on different sides of the world and now together on a defensive pair for a mediocre NHL team—ain’t life funny?
Wishing Romanov a happy birthday! pic.twitter.com/viRD590pmX— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) January 6, 2023
Last night’s NHL scores include road wins for the Capitals and Rangers over Eastern Conference bottom-feeders but a sixth straight loss for the streaky Penguins.