The Islanders are in Vancouver tonight. I completely forgot to build in a lead to today’s news roundup. So what you see, here, is it.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight here.
- After tonight’s game, the Isles head to Alberta for a back-to-back. Semyon Varlamov is off IR (and Cory Schneider has returned to Bridgeport), so perhaps Varly will get one of those starts.
- Dan and Mike kick off 2023 with fresh Islanders Anxiety: On the loss in Seattle, what’s to come, the trade deadline, and ESPN’s handling of hockey. [LHH]
- After the loss to the Kraken Lane Lambert suggested they might do this, and with the power play in a 1-for-30 rut they indeed changed things up at practice, mixing in Sebastian Aho and Hudson Fasching. [Newsday]
- Also: Lambert hopes Cal Clutterbuck will be able to return tonight. He was in a regular line rotation at practice. [@AGrossNewsday]
#Isles lines at practice— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) January 2, 2023
Johnston the extra forward.
Other than the Winter Classic, a 2-1 Bruins regulation win over the Penguins, yesterday’s other two games were late Western ones, including the Flyers winning their third straight, in Anaheim.
- Jake DeBrusk scored both goals, continuing a redemption journey from wantaway malcontent to key winter. [Sportsnet]
- Potential additional complication for the Penguins: Tristan Jarry left with an injury. [NHL]
- The Bruins and Penguins showed up at Fenway Park wearing throwback baseball uniforms and stuff like that. [NHL]
- For the second Classic at Fenway, they decided to change things up, including positioning the rink parallel to the Green Monster. [Athletic]
- Second year in the league, and the Kraken have already been awarded a Winter Classic. They’ll host Vegas in 2024. (Which is next year, in case you haven’t yet internalized the calendar switch.) [NHL]
- The Blues face new injury woes, with pending UFAs Ryan O’Reilly and Vladimir Tarasenko both headed to IR. [NHL | TSN]
- Waiver Wire: The Jets have exposed Jansen Harkins. [TSN]
- The Lightning have signed grocery store chain Nick Perbix to a two-year extension. [TSN]
- WJC Updates: Canada needed OT to get past Slovakia, so they’ll go to the semifinals against the U.S., who advanced via an unmerciful 11-1 win over Germany. In the other bracket, Sweden scored the winner late to eliminate Finland, and the Czechs trounced Switzerland.