Mike and Dan discuss the Islanders’ spectacularly unsuccessful week and their continued slide, as well as the cuts made at SB Nation and the future of this podcast.
Beyond the four losses (two in overtime), they feel betrayed, angry and confused by the team’s reluctance to make meaningful changes while they fall further out of the Eastern Conference playoff picture. Although more quiet than some others around the NHL, the Islanders seem to be creeping back to the circus level they occupied for so long. Their lineup is a mess and they continue to bleed losses, all while the focus seems to be on keeping injuries a secret, promoting UBS Arena and remembering the good old days (of two years ago).
The second half of the show is dedicated to talking about what happened this week to SB Nation’s hockey side and its effect on Lighthouse Hockey and its podcasts. The plan is to find a new home for this show, as well as Weird Islanders: The Podcast! and Islanders Award Winners, while also setting up a new model for listeners to support them
We tell you what we know and what we don’t know as of now, so stay tuned for more info.
Preorder your Anders Lee Reverse Retro Bobblehead today from the fine folks at FOCO. This is a fantastic limited edition collectable that you won’t want to miss out on. Preorders are only open for a few weeks, so get yours in today at this link: https://www.foco.com/products/anders-lee-new-york-islanders-reverse-retro-jersey-bobblehead
- Thanks to everyone who voted in our poll. We did have a clear winner, but you couldn’t go wrong with any choice.
- This is criminal malpractice:
Since losing Wahlstrom— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) January 21, 2023
- Please listen to the back half of the show to hear how we plan to proceed going forward. Again, the three existing shows - Islanders Anxiety, Weird Islanders: The Podcast! and Islanders Award Winners - will remain free. We just need to find a new home to host them. But bonus content via a subscription model could happen in the future. We’d like to hear what people (and wouldn’t) want as part of that.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, jerseys and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour and “The Island” merch, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code ANXIETY at checkout to save 15% on your order.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena. Learn more at The Pinot Project.com. Please drink responsibly
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.