Mike and Dan ramble and rant about a range of NHL topics, from strange playoff bedfellows to prospect coverage to old guy veneration.
With the Islanders’ offseason in a holding pattern, the hosts are forced to face a corporate-backed rival fanbase that only emerges when certain special conditions are met, and to rely on previous enemy teams to come through for them. Making matters worse is that the solid ice the Islanders once skated on has cracked and left everyone feeling uneasy.
In the second half, they discuss a few Islanders players getting a chance at the World Hockey Championships and how they might impact next season, either on the roster or as trade fodder. They also look at how their shallow prospect pool is all but ignored and how not all beloved veteran bargain free agents are created equal.
Remember: some articles aren’t worth getting mad about.
*-note that this episode was recorded prior to Game 7 between the Rangers and Hurricanes.
- Congrats to Team Finland and Valtteri Filppula for winning gold at the World Championships. Mat Barzal was named Player of the Game for the gold medal game, despite Canada’s OT loss.
- And congrats to the great Mark Streit on his induction to the IIHF Hall of Fame
Former Islander Mark Streit inducted as one of the newest members of the @IIHFHockey Hall of Fame earlier today. #Isles pic.twitter.com/NJSjF4UOQQ— Rob Taub (@RTaub_) May 29, 2022
- wow. so special. especially for a guy who played for Ottawa and Dallas for 15 years.
The passion Jason Spezza continued to bring in the later stages of a career that saw him go from a NHL star to a fourth liner was admirable. The grace he displayed when scratched said a lot about him, too.— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) May 29, 2022
May we all find something we love as much as Spezza loved playing hockey.
- We could see a trade of Kevin Fiala for [insert a young player and high pick here].
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, mugs and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour tribute shirts, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code LONGISLAND at checkout to save 10% on your order.
- Betway is the official betting partner of the NHL. Play Big Pick for free or play for real (residents in NJ, PA, CO, ID, IA only). Please play responsibly.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Rose, all under $15. Available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.