Mike and Dan attempt to process the news of the Islanders firing Barry Trotz, the coach with the tightest connection to the Islanders fanbase.
They talk about how they felt when the news came out, what additional information came to light later, and what it might mean for the future of the franchise. They look at some possible silver linings and potential positives, while still being sad that Trotz won’t be on the Island to enjoy it.
They also throw in some rants about the reactions to the firing outside of Islanders circles, and how people who complained about Trotz’s tenure with the Islanders are now hoping he’ll come to coach another team that’s not the Islanders. Sure, guys.
- Kevin Kurz on the firing along with some anonymous quotes that weren’t so surprised that it happened.
- If you’re not a subscriber to The Athletic, you can hear Kurz talking to Jeff Marek (starting at the 50:20 mark) about how the firing made more sense the more he started asking around.
- Needless to say, we’re still in shock, and it’s about more than just hockey.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, mugs and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour tribute shirts, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code LONGISLAND at checkout to save 10% on your order.
- Betway is the official betting partner of the NHL. Play Big Pick for free or play for real (residents in NJ, PA, CO, ID, IA only). Please play responsibly.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Rose, all under $15. Available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.