Mike and Dan look at the good (some) and bad (also some) of the Islanders’ last week and the promising signs that have, unfortunately, started to arrive a little too late.
They recap disappointing games against the Avalanche and Canucks and the mistakes that cost the team points in each, before discussing a surprisingly spicy Saturday win over a very good Blues team. They also examine the misunderstood storylines heading into those games, the odd season of Semyon Varlamov and how the trade deadline is looming just as the team is rounding into form.
They spend the second half ranting about a few recent issues within the hockey media that shows just how unnecessarily hard it is to be a hockey fan in this day and age.
Along the way, they remember all of the missed calls, disallowed goals and pre-game ceremonies the Islanders have had to endure this week and throughout the season.
- Kevin Kurz (and one other outlet that may or may not have been Andrew Gross of Newsday) sat down with Lou Lamoriello last week and even the veteran GM sounded a little perplexed by how this season has unfolded.
- Barry Trotz on the education of Oliver Wahlstrom. In short:
#Isles Barry Trotz with long, thoughtful, detailed explanation on Oliver Wahlstrom's development. Ends with:— Andrew Gross (@AGrossNewsday) March 5, 2022
"He's got lots of talent. Don't be impatient. Wahlly is going to be good. He's going to be fine. You guys are like McDonald's. You guys want everything right now."
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, mugs and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour tribute shirts, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.
- Betway is the official betting partner of the NHL. Play Big Pick for free or play for real (residents in NJ, PA, CO, ID, IA only). Please play responsibly.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Rose, all under $15. Available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.