It’s St. Patrick’s Day, one of those hybrid religious-national days that has been morphed into a completely secular booze fest in many necks of the American woods. Coincidentally, the Islanders are in Manhattan for a battle with the Rangers, as these teams once again refuse to both be playoff-bound at the same time.
Among attendees, rivalry blood and libations will surely be in abundance. What could go wrong?
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
No practice or media for the Isles yesterday after they returned from D.C., so any lineup and other buzz will come out today.
- With the core seemingly in place, the Isles can still uses these games down the stretch to evaluate long-term needs. [Newsday]
- On his Island Ice podcast, Andrew Gross discusses the disappointment against the Capitals and tonight’s rivalry tilt. [Newsday]
- Preview/game notes for tonight. [Isles]
- The Isles may have rediscovered their “identity” (read: they’re actually scoring goals again), but it’s surely too late. [Post]
- Catching up with Isles prospect William Dufour, who is having a fantastic year for Saint John in the QMJHL. [WFAN]
- Kevin Kurtz reviews a handful of mostly absurd trade proposals submitted by readers. [Athletic]
- Also: Are Anders Lee’s performance and Brock Nelson’s hot streaks sign that faith in the core is not misplaced? (Honestly, those two aren’t the core members anyone is worried about, are they?) [Athletic]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Wild doubling up the Bruins, and the Devils falling 6-3 in Calgary, among other games.
- 32 Thoughts: The trade deadline activity has heated up, with several moves (and fallout) over the last 36 hours. [Sportsnet]
- Trade deadline scuttlebutt: Are the Panthers and Avalanche in a bidding war for Claude Giroux? [TSN]
- The Panthers paid an oddly heavy price for Ben Chiarot, whose best days appear behind him. [Litter Box Cats]
- The Flames sent three (!) draft picks (2nd, a 3rd, a 7th) to the Kraken for UFAS Calle Jarnkrok and half his $2 million cap hit. [NHL]
- Eight under-the-radar trade deadline candidates, plus inside an NHL trade call. [ESPN]
- For fun: The Ottawa Senators as Bad Religion albums. [Silver Seven]
- “Every other team will be laughing.” Envisioning the Coyotes in a 5,000-seat NCAA arena. [Athletic]
- The Stars say they do not expect to trade pending UFA John Klingberg. [NHL]
- The Smurfs have traded a fourth-round pick to add bottom-six depth with Frank Vatrano from the Panthers, who were apparently clearing salary. [Post | Litter Box Cats]
- Tomas Hertl gets an eight-year extension with the Sharks. [NHL]
- 10 finalists for the NCAA Hobey Baker Award. [SBN College Hockey]
- The Smurfs were trounced by the Blues but Ryan Lindgren won’t let that bad game get to him. [Post]