In a super-sized trade deadline spectacular, Mike and Dan recap the Islanders three-game winning streak and talk about what they think the team will (and, more importantly will not) do this week.
They talk about the milestones hit by Anders Lee and Barry Trotz, and how the quiet skill of Brock Nelson hasn’t been fully appreciated by people outside the Islanders’ bubble. They also discuss the continued evolution of Oliver Wahlstrom and while he’s not what many fans want him to be yet, he is getting there.
In the second half (starting around 31:40), they have a HOT TAKE about how the Islanders’ roster will look after the trade deadline and how their supposedly available pieces will be dealt with. They also look around the league at some other names that have been thrown around and who they could see landing where.
Along the way they cover a big public faceplant, some cathartic booing and an entire team of old Islanders defenseman working out at Eisenhower Park because that’s just what they do.
- Relive the glory of Eric Boulton’s actual NHL hat trick (that somehow didn’t come against the Islanders).
- Listener John (who goes by @OlegKvasha on Twitter) went down the rabbit hole to find a weird transitional jersey between the wavy ones and the dark classic version. What he thought had been a figment of his imagination turned out to be a real thing. Weird. Read and give him a follow if you haven’t already.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, mugs and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour tribute shirts, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.
- Betway is the official betting partner of the NHL. Play Big Pick for free or play for real (residents in NJ, PA, CO, ID, IA only). Please play responsibly.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Rose, all under $15. Available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.