Adam Pelech has been representing the New York Islanders in the NHL’s All-Star Weekend in Las Vegas. And he’s been doing it well! He participated in the Hardest Shot competition, finishing second behind Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman. He clocked in at 102.2 mph.
He also took a breakaway, showing off a pretty backhand.
Maybe Barry Trotz should use Adam Pelech in the shootout pic.twitter.com/7cjvMPoiYF— Rob Taub (@RTaub_) February 5, 2022
Today, he’ll play in at least one 3-on-3 game—he’ll join the Metropolitan Division to go against the host Pacific Division at 3:00 p.m. ET. If they win, the Metro team will take on the winner of the Atlantic–Central game at 4:00 p.m.
About the inaugural Islanders–Seattle Kraken game:
- It was bad. [LHH]
- Not the best way to celebrate hosting a Mental Health Awareness Game. [Islanders]
- Or your last game before a break. [The Athletic]
- Looking at the ten biggest disappointments of this season so far, Kyle Palmieri is in there. [The Athletic]
- HelloFresh has partnered with the Isles, as well as the Nashville Predators and Los Angeles Kings. [Business Wire]
- Pelech clocked in at 102.2 mph, but Hedman had him beat by a full mph. [NHL] Still good for second, though. [Islanders]
- Pelly looks like he’s having a good time. [Islanders]
- And his game has been recognized by his All-Star peers, including his former junior teammate, Connor McDavid. [Islanders]
- With the events they held on the Strip, this Las Vegas All-Star weekend is one-of-a-kind. [NHL]
- Jordan Kyrou won the Fastest Skater crown, but he’s still not faster than Mathew Barzal. [NHL]
- Local boy Alex Pietrangelo won the Breakaway Challenge in what clearly had to have been a rigged competition. I mean, just look at what Trevor Zegras did and tell me how he didn’t win. [NHL]
- On Wednesday night, the Chicago Blackhawks hosted a Town Hall where fans and media got to speak to ownership. Mark Lazerus asked basically a softball question about empowering players in Kyle Beach’s situation going forward. And Blackhawks chairman Rocky Wirtz lost his mind, sullying the whole thing and showing that he has learned nothing. [Second City Hockey]
- Almost a perfect example of instant karma, the Blackhawks now face new allegations from three more individuals. [TSN]
- Peter Chiarelli was interviewed to serve as GM of Chicago, though, so at least they’re in a good spot. [TSN]
- The NHL might move the upcoming draft and some games in Canada because of the country’s still-height-of-the-pandemic-type measures. [NHL]
- The league also announced that the Boston Bruins will host the 2023 Winter Classic at Fenway Park. How original. [NHL]
- At the moment, the Kraken have brothers Cale and Haydn Fleury on the same defense pair. [NHL]
- Previewing the Women’s Olympic Tournament: The USA lost its best player, Brianna Decker. [THN]
- The Athletic polled agents about a bunch of things, but among them were to what teams they steer their clients, and the Islanders were one of the top choices.