Joined by Lighthouse Hockey’s own Jenny Berman, Mike and Dan discuss how Thomas Vanek spent 47 games with the Islanders that were somehow both completely inconsequential and yet totally changed the direction of the franchise.
Vanek was the dynamic winger John Tavares needed but he came at the expense of fan favorite Matt Moulson and he was notably not a goalie. So while the top line terrorized the NHL for a few dozen games, the Islanders bled goals until GM Garth Snow finally sent Vanek to Montreal for an underwhelming return.
But that one short, weird period continues to affect the Islanders today in some extremely surprising ways.
Also, where in the world is Michael Dal Colle?
Thanks again to Jenny for coming on. Follow her on twitter at @barzalline and read her work right here! Duh!
WEIRD BONUS MATERIAL!
- Here’s the goal Jenny talked about. That pass is siiiiiiiiick:
- And here’s the Non Goal we’ve been talking about since 2014. I still can’t believe it:
- Him turning down that seven year, $50 million deal was one of the best things to happen to the Islanders. Or was it?
What makes a “Weird Islander?”
We’re always open to suggestions about other Weird Islanders to discuss. Remember the criteria. Candidates must fulfill one of the two of the following:
- Played one (1) season or less for the Islanders or very short stints over multiple seasons.
- Be a veteran NHLer who is not generally associated with his time on Islanders.
Visit our friends!
- Vintage Ice Hockey for t-shirts, hoodies and mugs with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour shirts which benefit dementia research. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 to save 15%.
- Betway, the official betting partner of the NHL. Please play responsibly.
- The Pinot Project has Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Rose all under $15. Available at local wine stores and UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Drum sfx via Zapsplat.com.