Along with returning guest Nick Giglia, Mike and Dan talk about a pair of goalies with distinguished NHL careers who stopped by the Islanders very briefly after being traded for one another.
John Vanbiesbrouck won a Vezina with the Rangers, then led the third-year Panthers on one of the most miraculous playoff runs in NHL history. But in his journeyman final seasons, he brought a touch of veteran presence to a very young Islanders team and showed he still had something left in the tank.
He had enough, in fact, to convince then-New Jersey general manager Lou Lamoriello to ship stalwart Chris Terreri to those same Islanders, who were playing out the string while the Devils geared up for another Cup run. But Terreri, months before he would retire for good, taught a melancholy group the value of playing for pride.
The trio also cover Vanbiesbrouck’s controversial history and Terreri’s unexpected fast food business venture.
WEIRD BONUS MATERIAL!
- The article by Scott Burnside about Vanbiesbrouck and the incident with Trevor Daley. Vanbiesbrouck is currently the GM of USA Hockey.
- Video evidence of both of these goalies playing for the Islanders. Sometimes they even won. Here’s Beezer doing his best against the Leafs:
- And here’s Terreri getting a win (and some high praise from the broadcast crew) against the Penguins later that same season:
What makes a “Weird Islander?”
We’re always open to suggestions about other Weird Islanders to discuss. Remember the criteria. Candidates must fulfill one of the two of the following:
- Played one (1) season or less for the Islanders or very short stints over multiple seasons.
- Be a veteran NHLer who is not generally associated with his time on Islanders.
Visit our friends!
- Vintage Ice Hockey has t-shirts, hoodies and jerseys with hundreds of classic hockey logos, and our Al Arbour and THE ISLAND merch, which benefit dementia research. Use the code ANXIETY to save 15%.
- The Pinot Project has Rosé, Pinot Grigio and a Pinot Noir that was named a 2022 Top 100 Best Buy by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. All are under $15 a bottle and are available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show’s profile and maybe could get us another fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Drum sfx via Zapsplat.com.