The Islanders are in Nashville for an 8 p.m. EST start against the Predators, who are 7-8-1 with a minus-10 goal differential. Catch opposition obsession-ing at On the Forecheck.
Programming alert! The Weird Islanders podcast returns today with (what I would call) a special episode, discussing a great NHLer and brief Islander (but not one who just mailed it in) and a particularly funny fan of said player.
- Nikita Soshnikov cleared waivers and was technically assigned to Bridgeport. I can’t actually pretend to be too invested in what happens next. [Newsday]
- Islanders legend and one-time Devil Andy Greene is the latest guest on Talkin’ Isles. [Isles]
- The Isles are getting some production from their third pairing, and whoever saw that coming? [Post]
- The Bridgeport Report: They’re 7-2-3-0, which is only good for third in the division. They have a three-in-three this weekend. [B-Isles]
- Senator Mathieu Joseph was fined $5,000 for that high stick on Sebastian Aho and I’m honestly shocked. [TSN]
- Not News But Reported as Such: Barry Trotz says he’s received no offers, but he’d be interested in coaching again. [Sportsnet]
Wednesday night’s NHL scores included just three games, none of any particular relevance to the Isles.
- The Senators, who are probably better than their record, snapped their losing streak against the Sabres, who are also struggling. [Sportsnet | TSN]
- The Sens could look to trade for a defenseman, or they could not. So many things could or could not happen. [NHL]
- Analyzing the terrible, horrible, no-good, very-bad Canucks’ roster. [Sportsnet]
- This isn’t Jaroslav Halak’s first rodeo, so he’s not yet concerned by his winless start. [Post]
- Speaking of the Smurfs, frequently scratched Ryan Reaves isn’t sure what his immediate future holds. [Post]
- John Klingberg signed a big one-year, prove-it free agent deal in Anaheim, and thus far he is not proving it. [Athletic]
- The Jets will be without Mason Appleton for 8-12 weeks, and apparently he is good. [TSN]
- Marc-Andre “don’t call me Bergeron” Fleury is on the shelf. [NHL]
- Jonathan Drouin also hits the shelf, for an estimated 4-6 weeks. [NHL]
- As he prepares to face his old team, Matthew Tkachuk, who really wanted to move to Florida, says he loves Florida. [Sportsnet]
- Fellow Calgary escapee Johnny Gaudreau says he loves it in Columbus. Okay then. [ESPN]
- Another take on the “Sharks willing to listen on [$11 million man] Karlsson” story. [TSN | NHL]
- Digging into big free agent goalie Jack Campbell’s “pathetic” struggles in Edmonton. [Sportsnet]