The Philadelphia Flyers are back — now they’ve gone 12 in a row without a win — and probably would like nothing more than to end their streak by avoiding getting beaten by the New York Islanders (who’ve finally caught them in the points standings) three times in nine days.
But even if that doesn’t work out, they can still celebrate Keith Yandle claiming the NHL Iron Man record, against some pretty improbable odds considering how they nearly healthy scratched him in his final season in Florida.
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
- Previewing tonight’s game and three keys, while unironically noting that Oliver Wahlstrom — a Saturday scratch — won it last time in the never ending shootout. [Isles]
- Yesterdays media availability topic: Yes, Barzal wouldn’t mind having a regular right winger, and yes, sometimes Barry just “throws spaghetti at the wall” to see what sticks. [Newsday]
- Prospect Report: Aatu Raty scores a couple more. [Isles]
- On the latest Island Ice podcast, Andrew Gross remembers Clark Gillies. [SoundCloud]
- ICYMI: Dan and Mike discussed the week on the ice, and then reflect on Gillies. [Islanders Anxiety @ LHH]
- They referenced Larry Brooks’ tribute, among others. [Post]
- Yesterday in Isles History: Mike Bossy hits 50 in 50. There have been a few “On this day...” history facts about Bossy over the last week, and it’s been jarring to see them at the same time we’re mourning Clark Gillies’ death while also pulling for Bossy in his own cancer fight. [Isles]
- Revisiting the adversity and glory of Mathew Barzal’s junior years in Seattle. [Athletic]
- From the other side: The Flyers lost. Again. That’s 12. [BSH] They should sell these five players before the deadline. [BSH]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Capitals losing at home in regulation, the Rangers winning a shootout, and Bowel Movement 63 and the Bruins losing at home.
- Player agent (well, until accepting this job) Emilie Castonguay becomes the Canucks’ first — and the NHL’s second — woman assistant general manager at age 37. It’s in part a kind of tribute to her late sister’s connection to the city. [NHL | Sportsnet]
- What these oft-referenced trade targets can bring to a lineup. [Sportsnet]
- With the Blackhawks mired in sub-mediocrity, it’s not that everyone is for sale, it’s that “anyone can be had.” Teams “can always use a guy like” Calvin de Haan. [Athletic]
- Various NHLers, including ex-Isle Kyle Okposo, vow to combat racism in the game. [NHL]
- The Wild matched their franchise record for goals scored in an 8-2 win over the Canadiens. (Though the Wild have been around for over 20 years, Jacques Lemaire kept them from scoring more than 5 for half of that time.) [TSN]
- Kaapo Kakko could be out quite a while for the Smurfs. [Post]
- Teddy Blueger shall miss 6-8 weeks with a broken jaw. [TSN]
- Random Toronto windbags wonder why we can’t stand the Leafs Ecosystem (it’s not just the team, it’s their media, fanabse, their obliviousness to the outside world), and then all national outlets lead with deep analysis about why the Leafs coach is mixing up his lines. [Sportsnet]
- But don’t take my word for it, take the mailbag headline that reads: “Will Toronto Trade for Scott Mayfield?” [Sportsnet]