Well, folks, it has been a while since we have posted Bits. The last time we did, the New York Islanders decided to make some announcements. Now that we are posting again, expect the Islanders to announce the Zach Parise and Zdeno Chara signings.
Training camp is not too far away anymore. Thank heavens.
- In one fell news dump swoop, Isles GM Lou Lamoriello announced that he signed Kyle Palmieri, Anthony Beauvillier, Casey Cizikas, and Ilya Sorokin to multi-year deals. [NHL]
- During his presser, Cizikas uttered what immediately became one of the best Islander quotes of all time: He says that he is “going to die an Islander.” [amNY]
- Suffice it to say, Cizikas will retire a member of the Islanders, and he will go down as one of the most beloved there ever was. [Islanders]
- Beauvillier, he of the most important Islanders goal since the 1980s, is also thrilled to be back in blue and orange. [Islanders]
- Palmieri feels fortunate that he spent a large portion of his career playing in the state in which he grew up and now gets to be only the second Long Island-born multi-year Islander. [Islanders]
- Parise’s deal has not been announced, and we’re still waiting on LD2. But the roster is taking shape. [The Athletic]
- But Parise himself confirmed that he agreed to terms with the Islanders.
Just chatted with former #mnwild vet Zach Parise and he confirms he agreed to terms with the #isles earlier this summer.— Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) September 1, 2021
GM Lou Lamoriello just has to register his contract with the NHL. He’s got his Isles breezers and is heading to NY for good later this month.
- This (Yester)Day in Isles History: The Islanders shut out the Philadelphia Flyers 4-0 in a dominating Game 7 win to move on to the league semifinals for the first time since 1993 (2020).
- The Isles are holding a backpack giveaway to celebrate getting back to school. [Islanders]
- LISTEN: Mike and Dan discussed the signings in an episode titled after Cizikas’ quote. Mike also went to see Islander, the off-Broadway play that borrowed dialogue from the podcast. [Islanders Anxiety]
- LISTEN: Andrew Gross also used the Cizikas quote to title his episode of the podcast. It’s one of those lines that sticks within seconds. [Island Ice]
- The league’s new COVID-19 protocol allows for teams to suspend unvaccinated players. [Sportsnet] It also allows for higher fines. But deputy commish Bill Daly estimates that about 95% of players are fully vaccinated. [The Athletic]
- The NHL will be going to the Beijing Olympics in February. [Islanders]
- The Carolina Hurricanes, in exchange for being petty, gave Jesperi Kotkaniemi $6.1(!) million this year and sent to the Montreal Canadiens their first- and third-round picks. The Habs opted not to match the offer sheet. [Canadiens]
- Instead, they acquired Christian Dvorak from the Arizona Coyotes in return for first- and second-round picks. [Canadiens]
- The Hurricanes made room for Kotkaniemi by shuffling Jake Gardiner to LTIR. He will miss the season undergoing hip and back surgeries. [NHL]
- A decade after the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl plane crash, love and pain remain. [The Athletic]