The New York Islanders continue to be quiet, but one of the worst-kept secrets of their secretive offseason got another boost yesterday...
Lou’s cagey summer has put us in a weird spot: Is this thing about Casey Cizikas news? Is it not news? It’s not quite official...and it’s not really unexpected...but it’s another nugget for us to celebrate, I guess?
Heard that Casey Cizikas' deal with the #Isles is as @FriedgeHNIC heard last month: Six years at around $2.5 million per.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) August 31, 2021
AAV could be a bit higher, but anything under $3m per is a huge boost for the #Isles and their cap situation. And they have their Identity Line center.
If true — and there’s little reason to doubt that — it provides what the Islanders needed. It’s too long in one sense, but it’s much cheaper on AAV than Cizikas would’ve gotten on the open market. The Isles really needed the latter, so they could afford to sacrifice the former.
Oh, oh it’s true:
Cizikas: "I'm going to die an Islander, that's how you can put it."— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) September 1, 2021
Don't think he meant any time soon. #Isles
UPDATE: Steve here! And now this morning, as Arthur Staple continues his triumphant return from vacation, he tells us that Anthony Beauvillier has a three-year deal in Lou’s desk drawer and that there are many other deals waiting in the wings.
Another #Isles contract that was agreed to but still on the "to be filed" list: Anthony Beauvillier has a three-year deal, believed to be worth around $4.1-million per, source said. @LPGeek posted on it a few days ago.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) September 1, 2021
Bunch of other deals are done but not yet filed, of course.
These are things that, as Dom hinted above, we sort of knew already, but it’s still nice to get quote-unquote “confirmation.”
“Maybe the best teammate I ever had. I love the guy.”
- Arthur Staple spoke to Jack Capuano, Kyle Okposo, Michael Grabner and Matt Martin (who provided that quote) to recall the impact Frans Nielsen had in his 10 years as an Islander. [Athletic]
- Blues beatwriter Jeremy Rutherford fields a range of questions. On Vladimir Tarasenko, not much but: “I believe the Islanders are still in the mix, but there’s no telling with Lamoriello.” [Athletic]
- Things I could not possibly have conceived of in 1985: “Islanders greats Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier featured in limited-edition NFT set.” [Newsday]
- Do skeptical odds make the Islanders a good bet for the division, conference or Cup? [Empire Sports]
The full sequence: Canada wins GOLD! #WomensWorlds pic.twitter.com/dirDm28rah— NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) September 1, 2021
- A delayed overtime finish at the Women’s IIHF World Championship, where Canada ended USA’s string of five consecutive titles and took the cup for themselves. [Sportsnet]
- Connor McDavid’s next focus for improvement is the defensive side of his game. [TSN]
- The Jesperi Kotkaniemi offer sheet is good theater, but it’s also a carefully planned hockey move for the Hurricanes and in the sweet spot of offer sheets that just might work. [TSN]
- The Hawks and 28-year-old defenseman Connor Murphy reached an extension (starting next summer) for four years, $4.4 million per season. [Sportsnet | NHL]
- The buyout- and cap-squeezed Wild have inked Jordie Benn for their blueline on a cheap one-year deal. [NHL]
- Emotional eulogies from Jimmy Hayes’ widow and his brother, Kevin. [Yahoo]
- That documentary on the insane Danbury T
hrashers sounds pretty good. [News Times | The Wrap]
- The Canadiens are also getting into NFTs. [Sportsnet]