Mike and Dan discuss the many goings on around the draft for the Islanders, including trades, an expansion loss, new prospects and a crazy schedule.
They talk about the salary cap deals that sent Nick Leddy and Andrew Ladd away, and how both had different effects on the Islanders when they arrived. They also say goodbye to Jordan Eberle, whose expansion draft selection is a bittersweet exit for a fun player.
Later, they chat about the haul from this weekend’s Entry Draft, especially Finnish forward Aatu Raty, who basically fell into the Islanders’ laps in the second round. Finally, they go over next season’s schedule, which starts with an insane 13-game roadtrip before finally settling home at UBS Arena.
- Goodbye to Leddy, Ladd and Eberle, three different players who came and went under different circumstances. Two will be missed.
- Draft posts on Aatu Räty, goalie Tristan Lennox and the rest. Reminder: we have no idea what we’re talking about when it comes to these kids.
- At The Athletic, Corey Pronman gave the Islanders a C grade on their draft, but a lot depends on how Räty shakes out. (hey, so far, so good)
- Arthur Staple on where the Islanders stand now with their cap space, free agents and wish list. Don’t pencil in Ryan Suter just yet. But Zach Parise is most likely on his way.
- Oh, and pre-order Art’s book, 100 Things Islanders Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die. You’re gonna want to read it.
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Thnks fr th Mmrs” by Fall Out Boy.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.