As Cap Friendly reminds us, today at 5 p.m. EDT is the deadline for clubs to request players with No Move Clauses to waive their clause so they can be exposed in the Expansion Draft. That date doesn’t really affect the Islanders, but it is a reminder that the cascade of decisions and events is nearly upon us.
Players in such situations have until July 16 to agree to that request, and that’s also the deadline for teams to waive players before the Expansion Draft.
If you’re an Athletic person (doesn’t matter if you’re an athletic person), Arthur Staple is taking your questions for a Q&A today. [Athletic]
Earlier, Staple reported that Lou Lamoriello is shopping Nick Leddy, as well as Leo Komarov and Thomas Hickey again, and he clarified the amount of performance bonus that applies ($1.366 million, prorated due to the shortened season) to the 2021-22 season’s cap. [Athletic]
Parise, Suter Facing Wild Buyouts
BREAKING: The Wild are about to buy out Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, according to a report from Michael Russo of the Athletic. Nobody tell Lou Lamoriello.
- The Oilers, who have some cap space to play with, pulled the trigger on using some of it for old Duncan Keith — a move not well received by fans. [Copper n Blue]
The bright side of the trade is that the parodies of Edmonton media almost write themselves (though these are really, really good parodies, which took a few hours to become reality):
my sources in the future have obtained a sneak preview pic.twitter.com/aKiSy7SfyH— Acting the Fulemin (@ATFulemin) July 12, 2021
EDMONTON - There’s been a Rush to declare the Duncan Keith trade a Distant Early Warning for the Oilers.— Dan (@cultureoflosing) July 13, 2021
But the only Rush I can hear is the album, “Hold Your Fire.”
- After 15 years in Nashville, Pekka Rinne retires, and reflects in his own words. [Players Tribune] Official Predators announcement here.
- Mackie Samoskevich, a prospect likely to go in the first two rounds at the entry draft this month, is a Sandy Hook survivor. Scott Wheeler of the Athletic tells his family’s story.
- More reactions to the Senators bringing Pierre McGuire in: Silver Seven | Ray Ratto says the Senators and McGuire deserve each other.
- The Portland Winterhawks have a new owner and will finally get a new logo, replacing the logo they’ve used since they accepted a pile of used jerseys from the Blackhawks. [Oregon Live]
- Mock Draft: The annual SB Nation mock draft is underway, and the Sabres kick things off with Owen Power [Die By The Blade] With the compressed schedule, the picks are being posted in handfuls each day, so follow along with links to each team blog here.
- This is a long read, but interesting on the concepts of building hockey ops teams that can use data to inform decisions. [Hockey-Graphs]