The series has switched to Boston for Game 5. The Islanders and Bruins are tied, 2-2. We all know this because it’s all we’ve dwelled on since Saturday night’s barn-burner in Game 4.
The Isles should have the same lineup, the Bruins
- The Bruins would not declare any status updates about their injured defensemen, Brandon Carlo and Kevin Millar, but did hint at changes to their third line. [NHL]
- Barry Trotz had all the matchups he wanted at home in Game 4, and of course that’s not the case tonight as the road team in Boston. Some fun discussion about how it matters, but also how each coach tries to vary it up. [Newsday | Post]
- Remember how David Krejci speared Mathew Barzal in the nads, but then they reviewed it and decided maybe it was just a slash? Krejci was fined $5,000 by the league. You know, because that’s what they do for “minor slashing” penalties. [NHL | Newsday]
- All of which makes Bruce Cassidy’s post-Game 4 whining about the officiating a head scratcher. It’s like he’s new to this. Or desperate. But maybe it works. [LHH]
- Barzal took a beating but kept on ticking. And scoring winning goals. [Isles | Neil Best @ Newsday]
- Older info but new quotes and revisited context: Barry Trotz and the establishment of leadership, beginning with Anders Lee. [AM NY | Post]
- Bruce Cassidy said David Pastrnak missing a wide open net was a bad omen for the Bruins in Game 4. (No no, I think it was the officiating.) [Newsday | AP | Athletic]
- The Bruins will hope to get their neutral zone flow and sustained attack going again tonight. They’re convinced they’re the better team, they just have to show it. [Athletic]
- Andrew Gross had a quick Island Ice pod after Game 4. [Newsday]
- Both teams know they need to manage the escalating physical contest. [Globe]
- By the way, Wednesday’s Game 6 has been announced as a 7:30 EDT start.
Beyond Long Island and New England
In yesterday’s playoff action, the Canadiens forced the Jets to the wall, taking a 3-0 series lead, while Vegas rode a Jonathan Marchessault hat trick to beat the Avalanche to tie that series at 2-2. (Montreal is totally going to stumble its way to a Cup like they did in ‘93, aren’t they.)
- Through a special exemption, Canadian teams will be able to host cross-border opponents for playoff games in the third and (if necessary, teehee) fourth rounds. [NHL | Sportsnet]
- Barkov, Bergeron and Stone are your Selke finalists. I’m sure all the voters carefully studied each division. [NHL]
- Over at the Worlds, Canada beat Finland in overtime to become the first team to take gold after starting the tournament 0-3. [SI/THN | Sportsnet]
- We now know who replaces Scott Gordon behind the Flyers’ AHL bench: Ian Laperriere, former Flyer player and recent assistant. [NHL | BSH]
- A t-shirt to mock the Leafs, if you can handle Canadiens colors.
- Speaking of which: Larry Brooks uses his Sunday column to torch the Leafs...and the Yankees. [Post]