I must confess that I am absolutely, bonkers excited and nervous for tonight because after watching the Canadiens advance to the Stanley Cup final last night, nothing feels more appropriate than for them to face the Islanders in the final round, where 1993 can be corrected in accordance with the prophecies.
Good lord, the playoffs do crazy things to your mind.
Anyway, the Islanders are in Tampa for Game 7 against the Lightning tonight. I hope they show up with discipline and physical ferocity that terrorizes the Lightning in the same way Islanders squads have been punked by “veteran” clubs in the past.
Please, please by Bossy, give us this win.
- The Isles know what’s at stake, but will try to keep their focus shift by shift on how to get there. [NHL] Just focus on what’s in front of you. [Newsday]
- The Lightning, too, aim to focus respond in Game 7. [NHL]
- During the off day the Lightning had no update on Nikita Kucherov, but noted a referee told them they didn’t think the Scott Mayfield crosscheck on the Lightning star was malicious. [Post | NHL]
- Connor McDavid’s agent blasted the officiating, and he’s right of course, although the problem goes much deeper than one (deliberately?) missed call like that. [Newsday]
- Everybody acting like Game 7 turns on Kucherov’s availability, but the over-cap Lightning remind us that they played without the LTIR All-Star all season. [Newsday]
- Some more takeaways from the dramatic Game 6. [Bally Sports]
- Among them, the great performance from Mathew Barzal and his linemates. [Isles]
- Barry Trotz’s steady advice: Embrace the moment. [Newsday]
- John Tonelli and Denis Potvin are of course among those hoping for one last Cup final at the Coliseum. [NHL]
- Isles fans, too, say it would be a big freaking deal. [Newsday]
- The Islanders have a long and mostly storied history in Games 7. [Newsday]
- Reggie Leach, for one, is hoping Brayden Point can tie his 10-game goal streak so I say, screw that guy. [NHL]
- Okay one more from the national view: Game 6 was one to remember for the Coli. [Sportsnet]
The Canadiens pulled it off last night. It took overtime, but they knocked off the Vegas Golden Knights in overtime to advance to the Stanley Cup final. Hopefully they get a rematch of the 1993 Wales Conference Final.
Congrats to @CanadiensMTL for a hell of a series. Best of luck in the finals. Tough loss tonight but proud of how hard everyone worked this season. We are right there. We will come back better. Thanks to all the people who has supported us this year. @CP0031 good luck too you.— Robin Lehner (@RobinLehner) June 25, 2021
- Analyzing Corey Perry’s playoff impact so far. [Sportsnet]
- Ahead of the game, our main man Mike Leboff offered a view of the gambling opportunities. [NHL]
- The expansion Seattle Kraken have named their first head coach...Dave Hakstol? [AP | Athletic] The team very much believe he’s the right guy at the right time for the...yada yada yada. [Kraken]
- An insider “heard” that Matthew Tkachuk may want out of Calgary, and this guy suggests he could go to the Blues in a Vladimir Tarasenko trade. [Yahoo | NHL]
- Speaking of which, in the What Went Wrong? series: The Flames. [Yahoo]
- ESPN has added Mark Messier as an analyst, and no doubt as a guy who will incessantly opine about leadership. [Yahoo]
- Because they name leadership awards after him, don’t you know, Patrice Bergeron being the latest honoree. [NHL]