That was a frustrating loss. The Tampa Bay Lightning stifled the New York Islanders in the way that the New York Islanders typically stifle everyone else. But the good news is that the Islanders played well.
More good news is that the Islanders twice this postseason have trailed a series 2-1 and come back to win both series. This Tampa Bay team is stronger than the Pittsburgh Penguins or Boston Bruins, but the Islanders have it in them to take them down.
Islanders vs. Lightning News
Recaps from last night’s battle for inches:
- We’ve seen those clamps before; it’s just that it’s usually us putting them on other teams. [LHH]
- It was Tampa’s turn to put on a clinic. [Sportsnet]
- Andrei Vasilevskiy is no slouch, either. He made 27 saves to help his team’s cause. [NHL]
- So, now they trail the series. [NY Post]
- The Islanders aimed to stay out of the box and they did, for the most part, bogus interference call aside. [Islanders 5 Takeaways]
- Larry Brooks has a bone to pick with the referee that made the call on Adam Pelech. [NY Post]
- “Both teams are adjusting to each other,” said coach Barry Trotz. [Newsday]
- It should be Oliver Wahlstrom's time. Also, Anthony Beauvillier and the second line need to be better. [The Athletic]
- Despite my optimism above, it is tough to say that this 2-1 deficit is as surmountable as the last two proved to be. Tampa has championship pedigree and confidence. But it’s far from insurmountable. [Best @ Newsday]
- Sportsnet says the same as Neil Best.
- Does anyone look frustrated? [Newsday Photos]
- Floptastic Nikita Kucherov has more assists than anyone else in the playoffs has points. Glad that surgically repaired hip hasn’t proven to be a hindrance, except when it comes to staying on his skates, apparently. [NYI Skinny]
- LISTEN! On their hundredth episode, the Newsday crew hosted the NHL website’s Dan Rosen to break down Game 3. [Island Ice Ep. 100]
- I wonder what kind of adjustments Trotzy has up his sleeve.
Trotz Postgame Availability pic.twitter.com/h5TOeXnWUD— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) June 18, 2021
Onto some non-recap news:
- Physical battles are part of the playoffs, though the physicality was a bit muted during Game 3. [Newsday]
- The New York Jets returned to the game, though not even Dan Feeney could get us going last night. Jimmy Fallon was also there, hanging with Ralph Macchio. [Islanders]
Non-Playoff Islanders News
- After winning the award last year, GM Lou Lamoriello has been nominated again for the Jim Gregory General Manager of the Year Award. [Islanders | Newsday | NHL]
- The players have a ton of respect for Lamoriello’s resume. [Islanders]