With four games against the Sabres and Devils this week, the New York Islanders had a great chance to make a play for a home ice spot in the playoffs.
Halfway through that slate the results are...not good. They entered the week outside the top seeds and so the chances weren’t great, but after twice losing games that they led in Buffalo and only coming away with a point, they’ve given themselves no wiggle room, as Washington and Pittsburgh hold tiebreakers.
Essentially, the Isles are right where they deserve to be.
About last night:
- Maybe better than the previous night, but still nowhere good enough. [LHH | Isles | NHL]
- Trotz says the Islanders need to be emotionally invested. [Newsday]
- Oh, and: Mathew Barzal was healthy scratched while Matt Martin and Leo Komarov were rested, so that’s just swell. [Newsday]
- Michael Houser got the NHL debut and then some, playing on back-to-back nights to backstop his team to upset wins over the Isles. [Buffalo News]
- The Sound Tigers closed their season with a loss to the Wolf Pack. [Sound Tigers]
- No Sleep Till Belmont podcast on the Isles making the playoffs, the Caps’ biggest tool, and more. [Athletic]
- The latest Nassauman Podcast covers potential playoff opponents and also some weasel with the Capitals. [Linktree]
Trotz Postgame Availability pic.twitter.com/MebVW898M5— x - New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) May 5, 2021
Last night’s other NHL scores included the Penguins winning and the Bruins getting a point via OT loss to the Devils.
- Tom Wilson is a repetitively dirty player with no sense and no remorse. Who better to give a window into that sorry existence than Matt Cooke? [Athletic] Wilson knows how to get away with stuff though. [Athletic]
- The Capitals d-bag got off with just a “maximum” fine for his antics against the Rangers, so the Rangers decided they need to go off on the Department of Public Safety. [Post]
- Even mild-mannered Elliotte Friedman thinks the Wilson fine is a joke. [Sportsnet]
- And one more on that topic, but to the larger issue: Time to overhaul DPS (yet again)? [TSN]
- Jesse Puljujarvi is a man transformed on his return to the Oilers. [Athletic]
- Milan Lucic waived his no-trade clause to help the Flames navigate the expansion draft. [Sportsnet]
- Time for a Gostisbe-hearing. [TSN]
- Asking coaches who their Norris picks are, ‘n stuff. [Athletic]