Hope you took a day or two to relish that first-round dispatch of a wholly unworthy and miserable opponent, because now the Anxiety Switch turns back on: The New York Islanders start on the road again, with Game 1 in front of what should be a full house backing the Bruins in Boston.
It’s an 8:00 EDT start tonight. Game 2, by the way, is scheduled for Monday night at 7:30 p.m. EDT.
Come back later for an exchange of questions with our sibling site covering the Bruins, Stanley Cup of Chowder.
- Series preview from the Isles site focuses on goaltending and the Bruins’ top two lines. [Isles]
- On the “Morning Bru” show, old friend Billy Jaffe discusses the series with Brian Compton, who said “Beauvillier looked like he chugged a case of Red Bull.” [Listen on whatever platform]
- On an edition of the Islanders Anxiety podcast that had me laughing several times, Dan and Mike share bemusement about Game 5’s ending, discuss hopes for this round, and the elusive maturity required since Mike’s wife is a Bruins fan. [LHH]
- The same anonymous panel that previewed the first round now previews Isles-Bruins. [Athletic]
- No surprise, Oliver Wahlstrom is doubtful for Game 1. Also, the Coliseum capacity will be expanded to 12,000, and Scott Mayfield talked about what to expect in this series. [LHH | Newsday]
- A Sabre while the Isles were beating the Bruins earlier this season, Taylor Hall could be a key to this series. [Newsday | NHL]
- More series previewing. [Newsday | Post]
- Denis Potvin is absolutely beaming about the current Islanders’ “heroes” and make-up. [Post]
- Here are some vulnerable spots the Bruins can target on the Islanders. [Athletic]
- For one last(?) time, fans are enjoying a swan song at the Coliseum. [Long Island Press]
- Charlie McAvoy’s Long Island buddies are giving him the business, but he can handle it — he doesn’t have his father’s temper. [Post]
In the only action last night, Vegas closed out the Wild in Game 7, the first time the young franchise has won a series at home.
- Tonight the Leafs and Habs have Game 6. Toronto’s top line isn’t scoring but it’s fine, it’s fine. [NHL]
- Justin Bourne says the Leafs need to channel the mounting pressure in the right way; this includes some quotes/audio from Barry Trotz about when he helped a high-expectation Washington squad get over that hump. [Sportsnet]
- As the Jets wait for that series to sort itself out...what shall we make of them? [TSN]
- How will the new regime alter the Penguins this offseason? [Trib Live]
- Tristan Jarry isn’t worried about his role with the Penguins as all of Pittsburgh preps to crucify him. [NHL | Sportsnet]
- Covid protocols are being revised slightly for the second round. [NHL]
- The Ducks will keep GM Bob Murray and coach Dallas Eakins (who are under contract), but the future for Ryan Getzlaf (who is not) remains uncertain. [NHL]
- Taylor Hall sure hopes to sign long-term in Boston. [NHL]
- The Oilers have six key contracts to sort out. [Sportsnet]
It’s been a depressing team for Zach Parise and it ended in Vegas, but he did have this nifty highlight in last night’s Game 7: