Apologies for this afternoon version of Bits, folks. I hate to keep you waiting. But sometimes, life gets in the way!
Game 4 was a much-needed dominant win for the New York Islanders over the Pittsburgh Penguins. They scored first, got to dictate the style of play, and were able to take away the Pens’ chances. When he was needed, Ilya Sorokin made the big saves. Perhaps most importantly, they have kept quiet Pittsburgh’s top line.
And now, the series shifts back to Pittsburgh for Game 5. Win that one and they have a chance to clinch in Game 6 back on Long Island.
Islanders Playoffs News
Recaps from a wonderful Game 4:
- The Islanders played their game yesterday and pestered the Pens. [LHH]
- Their game peaks when they have a lead and they had not had a lead much in this series before yesterday. [Islanders 5 Takeaways]
- It was a dominating performance. [Newsday]
- Sorokin was dialed in and gave the Islanders the confidence they needed. [Newsday]
- And it will probably be his net for Game 5. [The Athletic]
- Both Oliver Wahlstrom and Ryan Pulock each recorded a goal and an assist. [NHL] And the series is even. [NHL]
- LISTEN: Andrew Gross, Colin Stephenson, and Neil Best give their Game 4 analysis. [Island Ice Podcast]
- Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have struggled the last couple of games. [NHL]
- The crowd, of which I was a part, was fantastic. Barry Trotz agrees and says it helped them play Islanders hockey.
“I think we came out with a really good mindset. I’ll tell you what, what a great atmosphere and it’s hard not to with the crowd. They gave us some juice tonight, they were fantastic.”— x - New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) May 22, 2021
Barry Trotz ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/mRSb5h731f
- Just-drafted New York Jets quarterback Zach Wilson and his offensive line were in attendance to fire up the Islanders and the crowd. [Islanders | NHL] It was a bonding experience for the Jets. [Newsday] And Dan Feeney is now a Long Island legend. [Newsday]
Love this. The Coli was rocking!!! https://t.co/pnMPUgzZWh— Scott Mayfield (@scottmayfield2) May 22, 2021
One non-recap story:
- Isles co-owner Jon Ledecky is very generous to his team’s fans. [Newsday]
Beyond Long Island and Western Pennsylvania
Yesterday’s playoff action included the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Vegas Golden Knights taking commanding 3-1 series leads over the Florida Panthers and Minnesota Wild, respectively. Also, the Toronto Maple Leafs evened their series with the Montreal Canadiens.
- Nikita Kucherov was injured in Game 4 of the Battle of Florida. [NHL] And they’re upset about the officiating. [The Athletic]
- Edmonton Oilers center Connor McDavid, who scored over 100 points in 56 regular-season games, has zero points through two home losses to the Winnipeg Jets. [NHL]
- Washington Capitals winger Anthony Mantha received a $5,000 fine for goaltender interference. [NHL]
- On the play in which he was concussed, Leafs captain John Tavares also injured his knee. That injury alone will keep him out at least two weeks. [NHL]
- No one is more disappointed in the Vancouver Canucks season than their GM, Jim Benning. [THN]