In a potential second-round preview, the Islanders are in Boston tonight to finish the regular season. This is a make-up of the postponed game when the Bruins had a mini-Covid outbreak.
If the Isles win in regulation, they still have a shot at taking third (if the Bruins also lose their final game), which would mean home ice in the second round if the Islanders and Bruins both advance that far.
That’s the kind of convoluted stakes we’re dealing with. Otherwise it’s pretty much a nothing game, but hopefully the Isles continue their form from Saturday by playing like a playoff team again.
Leave your final First Islanders Goal pick of the season here.
- Previewing tonight... [Isles]
- The Islanders are focused on finishing things out strong. [Newsday]
- Hockey Night NY discusses the playoffs and more with Brian Compton of NHL-dot-com [Twitch]
- Just lots of fun fan Mother’s Day pictures here. [Isles]
Hope all our mothers had a happy Mother’s Day, and congratulations to new graduate Tanner Fritz.
Stick taps to #ProBuckeye Tanner Fritz, who just earned his Ohio State degree in sport industry!— Ohio State Men's Hockey (@OhioStateMHKY) May 9, 2021
A Buckeye from 2012-15 and an All-CCHA pick, he is in the @NYIslanders system with @thesoundtigers. #GoBuckeyes #OSUGrad @TFritz91 pic.twitter.com/s1UsfDgA5m
Just two NHL scores last night, but the Flames stayed alive for at least one more day.
- Future Rangers coach Rick Tocchet (much to Messier’s chagrin) and the Coyotes have mutually agreed to part ways. [Five for Howling | NHL] They’ll begin their search immediately. [Sportsnet]
- Speaking of partings, John Tortorella leaves a complicated legacy with the Blue Jackets, as he often does. [Jackets Cannon | NHL]
- Truly an impressive feat: Connor McDavid reaches 100 points in a 56-game season, with 13 points against the Canucks over the last six days (and two more games to go). [NHL] But he remains “focused on what’s really relevant.” [NHL]
- Pat Maroon understandably lost it after being sticked in the groin (which drew a fine), so after leaving the linesman’s grasp he’s suspended for one game and yada yada yada this is going to be an excellent Panthers-Lightning series. [NHL | Sportsnet]
- Even though they’re still eight points behind Montreal, the Flames avoided elimination because they have tons of games left to make up against the Canucks. [NHL]
- That means the Flames will be rooting for the Oilers against the Canadiens. [Sportsnet]
- The treasonous and unpatriotic Rangers obviously hate the World Championships.