Finally! The New York Islanders play a hockey game tonight. Remember hockey? Remember how fun it is to watch? You probably don’t, it’s been so long. It’s okay, I hardly remember either.
But tonight the Islanders will play their first road game in the month of April when they visit another Trade Deadline Winner™, the Boston Bruins. It will be their second game with Taylor Hall in the lineup, but the Isles will play their fourth game dressing Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac.
Speaking of whom, having the last two days to practice surely helped the two new acquisitions learn more some of the abstract parts of the Islanders’ and Barry Trotz’s system. Hopefully, the practice days allowed Trotz to try out some new line combinations; I’m curious to see if he goes with the same lines as last game.
- The team site previews tonight’s game.
- Mathew Barzal saw chemistry right away with his new linemate, Zajac, and said that he has never played alongside a guy that has been a center his whole career. [amNY]
- Barzal’s star should continue to rise in the coming postseason. [IslesBlog]
- GM Lou Lamoriello will not let the Islanders get ahead of themselves. They have still got work to do. [Empire]
- LISTEN: He joined NHL SiriusXM radio to talk about acquiring Palmieri and Zajac, collaborating with coaches on trades, and shaving. [Islanders]
- Braydon Coburn is getting settled with the Islanders. [Islanders]
- He believes the Islanders give him a great shot at winning a Stanley Cup for the second year in a row. [Newsday]
- LISTEN: Busy man Arthur Staple joined the PTIsles podcast to talk about the Trade Deadline acquisitions. [LHH]
- LISTEN: Andrew Gross analyzed the Isles’ Deadline moves, as well. [Island Ice]
- The Islanders have agreed to terms on a two-year deal with Collin Adams, their 2016 sixth-round pick out of North Dakota. It begins next season. [Islanders]
- Speaking of young players, let’s check in on Bridgeport. [Islanders]
- An Edmonton writer named the Islanders as the best dynasty of all-time. No, really. [Edmonton Journal]
- Take Barry into your heart:
Trotz Media Availability pic.twitter.com/q0Gonvb8KK— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) April 14, 2021
Yesterday’s NHL scores include a few games in the North and West Divisions.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins could win the East Division, but they do not feel that it would be necessary. [TribLIVE]
- What does the Stanley Cup race look like after the Deadline, according to the numbers? [The Athletic]
- If Mika Zibanejad keeps this up, he will be in the New York Rangers’ future plans. [NY Post]
- The Washington Capitals extended Conor Sheary for two more years. [NHL]
- Jack Eichel made the decision to have surgery to repair his herniated disc in his neck. [NHL]
- Both Ben Bishop and Alex Radulov will miss the rest of the season for the Dallas Stars. [NHL]
- The Seattle Kraken will not rush in hiring a coach. But they are looking. [NHL]
- J.T. Miller said that it feels too soon for his Vancouver Canucks to take the ice again, and many of his teammates agreed. Will the league move on his comments? [Sportsnet]