Mike and Dan examine the Islanders’ complete sweep of the Sabres and how they know the unique pain Buffalo fans are feeling.
They talk about how the teams can be considered mirror images of each other, and how the ghosts of Islanders past continue to fuel the team’s current incarnation through a cosmic hockey wormhole. Later, they look ahead to a tougher matchup against another team from the bottom of the division and how the Devils’ version of the many Bruce Lee knockoffs of the early 70’s could create problems for the Islanders.
Finally, they discuss the debut of the Islanders’ Reverse Retro jerseys and how they bring up memories of the teams and failed draft picks of their youth.
Don’t forget to leave us a review on iTunes and include your Twitter handle for a shot at winning some for yourself next month.
- Watch it again for the first time. Remember what this did to an entire team.
- Here’s the “You’re in Oil Country” video Mike talked about. A trip through the (still unbelievable) 2006 playoffs with the Edmonton Oilers.
- “Bruceploitation” movies were a real thing for a little while in the 70’s. No offence to fans of “Bruce Li,” “Bruce Le” or “Lee Bruce.”
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Our sponsor this season is VintageIceHockey.com, where you can buy shirts, hoodies and mugs featuring logos and colors of over 100 classic hockey teams, as well as our own Al Arbour tribute shirts. Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order. Our portion of all sales of the Arbour shirts or any using the discount code will be donated to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Man on the Silver Mountain” by Rainbow.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.