The Islanders were swept in deflating fashion, losing the season series (until the playoffs...?) to the Penguins and allowing them to pull into a standings tie.
In addition to the frustration of the poor start, there was the matter of just how little the Isles could generate down the stretch, despite lots of control and pressure over the final 40 minutes. Multiple icings in the waning minutes...and so much Leo Komarov (he of the waived and oft-taxi’d) on our first line.
About Last Night:
- The depth hit with Anders Lee’s season-ending injury continues to hurt: Last night basically came down to an inability to generate the offense to overcome one bad period. [LHH]
- “We talk about being ready to go and we just didn’t start really on time.” [Isles]
- Conceding the first (and second...) goal continues to hurt. [Newsday]
- Eight years between power play goals for Matt Martin, and other fun facts. [NYI Skinny]
- On a team that already has Komarov in Lee’s spot at evens and Martin in Lee’s spot on the power play, they put Ross Johnston in for Kieffer Bellows. [Newsday]
Trotz Postgame Availability pic.twitter.com/mgJi93cLhM— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 30, 2021
Not Last Night:
- The best part of yesterday was reading 31 Thoughts quoting our Michael Leboff on gambling, referencing philosophy, and jabbing Elliotte Friedman & Co. for always talking about the Leafs. “Bock out the noise, like Friedman and Marek talking about the Leafs all the time.” Great sport, Elliotte (as always). [Sportsnet]
- Thomas Hickey reflects on his return, and the very painful year. [Athletic]
- In this week’s Back and Forth, Dan looks back at the pair of Beau winners, highs and lows for Ilya Sorokin, and...a baseball movie? [LHH]
- How active should the Islanders be at the trade deadline? [NBC Sports]
- After losses, drown our sorrows in the future. [Isles Prospect Report | Bridgeport Report]
- The Sound Tigers will keep games closed to the public. [CT Post]
#Isles have two days off and then six straight at home before the April 12 trade deadline.— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) March 30, 2021
Seems like the next 48 hours would be the time to acquire a player who can get into your lineup for an important stretch of the season.
Last night’s NHL scores include the Sabres, unbelievably (except SO believably), entering the third period with a 3-0 lead over the Flyers and a great chance to end their miserable 17-game losing streak, only to lose 4-3 in OT. Streak’s now at 18.
- Aaron Ekblad had surgery and will be out 12 weeks, which theoretically could mean he could return this season if the Panthers are alive one month into the playoffs. [NHL | TSN]
- Meanwhile, Tristan Jarry left yesterday’s game with a strange and undefined upper body injury.
- Here’s a list of trade deadline candidates, and one of these forwards probably ends up an Islander. [Sportsnet]
- The Leafs are concerned about newly anointed starter Jack Campbell’s durability as he deals with a lingering injury. [TSN]
- In the city where Allen Iverson once riffed about the insignificance of practice, Carter Hart has been told he needs to take some games off and just work on how he handles...practice. [NHL]
- In Buffalo, everything must go. [Fourth Period]
- Not hockey but funny and could happen here: A Call of Duty accidentally leaks an NFL trade. [SB Nation]