As explained below, injuries have depleted the Pens’ roster. The Islanders have a record of 2-2-2 against Pittsburgh this season; I’d love to see them push it to 4-2-2 to finish off the season series.
- The team site previews tonight’s contest. The Penguins will likely not have available to them Evgeni Malkin, Jason Zucker, Kasperi Kapanen, Brandon Tanev, and Teddy Blueger.
- Arthur Staple identifies five reasons that the Isles need to strike quickly in the trade market, including top-line Leo Komarov and building chemistry with the new guy. [The Athletic]
- Relatedly, Islanders Director of Pro Scouting Ken Morrow took in the game late last night between the San Jose Sharks and Arizona Coyotes. Matt Nieto? Derick Brassard? Conor Garland?!
Les Jackson, Jared Waimon & Ken Morrow are the newbies tonight.— Craig Morgan (@CraigSMorgan) March 27, 2021
Morrow is the Islanders’ director of pro scouting.
Waiman is the Lightning’s goaltending scout.
Jackson is a pro scout for the Panthers. pic.twitter.com/Ygvk5B7W5W
- However, Barry Trotz believes that the Islanders’ line changes have worked for the time being. [Newsday]
- But, undeniably, the absence of Anders Lee has hurt the top line. [Newsday]
- Anthony Beauvillier focused on getting back to the basics and it has helped the rest of his game come together. [Islanders]
- The Isles hope that they will have back Noah Dobson next week. It has been confirmed that he tested positive for COVID-19. [Newsday]
- The Islanders’ penalty kill has done well with extended penalties and two-man-disadvantages.
- Next Saturday night’s game at the Coliseum against the Philadelphia Flyers will be Nickelodeon Night. [Islanders]
- Neil Best has gotten a bit bored of the intra-division format. [Newsday]
- Stan Fischler recalls the sparkplug that was Jason Blake. [Maven’s Memories]
- The Montreal Canadiens acquired Eric Staal from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks. He waived his no-trade clause to facilitate it. [NHL]
- With that trade, the Sabres are officially open for business. [The Athletic]
- Staal gives the Canadiens a safety valve down the middle. [Sportsnet]
- The Habs likely jumped upon learning that the Canadian government lessened the quarantine requirements from fourteen to seven days; Staal previously refused any trade to Canada because he did not want to quarantine for two weeks. [Sportsnet]
- With the emergence of Alex Nedeljkovic in Petr Mrazek’s absence, Carolina Hurricanes GM Don Waddell hinted that he may trade one of his goalies; the third head of the three-headed monster is James Reimer. [NHL]
- Pierre LeBrun and Thomas Drance received and analyzed trade ideas from NHL executives, including Kyle Palmieri coming to Long Island for Kieffer Bellows and a second-round pick.
- And finally, in the fallout of Tim Peel’s ouster, we have already seen one referee cover his microphone while explaining a non-penalty call. [Yahoo]