The Islanders wrap up their three-game set with the Flyers tonight in Philadelphia.
Though the Capitals have a game in hand, the Isles enter tonight tied with Washington for the division points lead. They also have a division-leading 18 regulation wins and +24 goal differential, which was goosed by the 6-1 thumping delivered to the Flyers on Saturday night.
The Flyers are in fifth place, three points behind the Bruins, but carrying that look of a team that will be on the outside looking in unless Boston does something that will leave the rest of the division laughing. After tonight, we won’t see the Flyers again until April 3, so it will be interesting to see how things go tonight and during that time. Was the first 40 minutes of Thursday’s game just a dead-cat bounce response to their embarrassment at Madison Square Garden?
Leave your First Islanders Goal picks here.
As a reminder, tomorrow’s game in Boston is postponed due to the Bruins having multiple players in Covid protocol. They are also scheduled to play in Boston, too, so we’ll see how this all sorts out.
- Previewing tonight’s game, sort of: [Isles]
- ICYMI: An emotional return for Thomas Hickey after an entire season out of the lineup, on top of personal injury and family loss. [Isles | AMNY]
- Beyond the emotion, it’s a chance for Hickey to show the Islanders — or another NHL team — that he belongs. [Newsday]
But back to the emotion: This hype video is...well, grab your tissues:
Battled for each other. pic.twitter.com/Dy2ngbCsvI— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) March 21, 2021
- Hockey Night in New York talks about Hickey’s return, and the looming trade deadline. [Twitch]
- Yesterday’s Covid Protocol list still included Noah Dobson as well as several Bruins.
- Ray Ferraro discussed arguing with Patrick Flatley on the bench, which would drive linemate Benoit Hogue nuts:
'Would you guys just shut-up, please shut-up!'— The Ray & Dregs Hockey Podcast (@rayanddregs) March 21, 2021
In #AskRayandDregs we learned about one of Ray's favourite teammates, Pat Flatley.
Hit the link to find, follow and enjoy the pod on your fave platform: https://t.co/XwDzhztrGw
Pres. by @CoolbetCanada pic.twitter.com/bjsVWEYRc8
Last night’s NHL scores include the Devils knocking off the Penguins in OT.
- He may be bashed by Buffalo media, but (or all the more reason?) Jonas Johansson is pumped to be joining the Avalanche. [NHL]
- Noah Hanifin could reach another level under Darryl Sutter. [TSN]
- But the Leafs finally beat Sutter’s Flames, behind a goalie change, and maybe that means Jack Campbell should take over the net for good? [Sportsnet]
- Even for brothers, during the pandemic there is a strict “no fraternizing with other teams” rule. [NHL]
- It’s “these Oilers are different” time again. [Sportsnet]