The Islanders — and all of us — hope to recover from a pointless weekend in Pittsburgh (okay, we weren’t actually in Pittsburgh) by grabbing another win against the Sabres tonight.
We are reminded that, while the victories last week in Buffalo were convincing, they were hardly by a large margin. The Sabres recovered by finally getting their first win since before their Covid break, on Saturday vs. the Devils.
So this game is hardly a gimme, and it’s followed by a visit from the Bruins and another pair against the Penguins. Leave your First Islanders Goal picks for tonight right here.
- Not a lot of news with the Isles off day, but lots of home games coming. Hoping the Isles cash in. [Newsday]
- (Yester)day in Isles history: A year and a pandemic ago, the Islanders raised John Tonelli’s #27 to the rafters. [Isles]
The NHL played the two games in Lake Tahoe last night. That’s fine and all, but NBC flashing graphics like this without irony is rather tone deaf.
"James will be presented with his Pierre McGuire BIG BODY PRESENCE Award for most career NHL Outdoor games in a ceremony preceding the Flyers' next outdoor game sometime next year."— Dan (@cultureoflosing) February 22, 2021
NBC looks at the NHL like Saved By The Bell: six main characters (BOS, PHI, WSH, PIT, NYR, CHI) who occasionally interact with a couple outside characters (VGK, TB, STL, COL, DAL) but mainly are inside their own self-contained little tv-boosted universe— god dammit, Dutch (@AnthraxJones) February 21, 2021
Last night’s NHL scores include the Bruins routing the Flyers in the outdoor game, the Capitals dumping the Devils,
We have a between-the-legs goal from Elias Pettersson pic.twitter.com/eYm4sBfhYY— SB Nation NHL (@SBNationNHL) February 22, 2021
- Lots of pretty pictures from Lake Tahoe. [Sportsnet]
- The hits just keep coming for the Sabres. Jake McCabe suffered an ugly injury Saturday that could leave a big hole for Buffalo’s blueline, and if it’s as bad as feared, it could be the UFA’s last game as a Sabre. [Athletic]
- Steve referenced this yesterday, but: Adam Henrique cleared waivers and Frans Nielsen is on them till he clears them at noon today. :( Frans is in the fifth season of his six-year deal. I am glad I have not had to witness his fairly predictable decline. [Winging It In Motown | TSN]
- Mika Zibanejad has been bad so the Rangers probably need a new top center so of course it should be Jack Eichel so then does that mean it should involve Alexis Lafreniere...[Post]