After sweeping the Sabres in consecutive nights to go to 5-0-3 in their last eight games, the Islanders flew down to Pittsburgh to prepare for their two-game set with the Penguins. The first game will be tonight at 7:00 p.m. on the local broadcasts.
Look out for a new episode of Islanders Anxiety today.
- The team site’s preview of tonight’s game.
- Ilya Sorokin’s first win sparked confidence that these Islanders might be able to go on another long playoff expedition. [The Athletic]
- And Jean-Gabriel Pageau, who has five goals in his last four games, is red hot. His early goals have allowed the Islanders to play with a lead, which has been critical to their success. [Newsday]
- Mathew Barzal’s point streak may have ended, but man what a run it was. He looks great this season, taking that next step that everyone expected he would take. [Islanders]
- His friend Anthony Beauvillier returned to the lineup Tuesday night lined up next to Pageau and Oliver Wahlstrom. He was a sight for sore eyes; glad that he is feeling better. [Newsday]
- I think that we have covered it already, but just in case: the NHL adjusted the schedule again, moving three Islanders games. [Islanders]
- LISTEN: Andrew Gross talks about the Isles’ improved play and welcomes to the show former Isles and Rangers goalie Martin Biron. [Island Ice Ep. 71]
- The Sound Tigers notched three goals in the third for their first win of the season, 5–3 over the Hartford Wolfpack. D Samuel Bolduc had a goal and two assists and F Simon Holmstrom scored his first goal of the season.
- WATCH: Nos. 3 and 1 belong to the Islanders, from the same game in fact, in this week’s Top 10 Goals of the Week. I will let you guess whether Barzal or Casey Cizikas took the top spot.
And finally, another Islanders-sponsored puppy has graduated to formal training. Congratulations to Tori.
Today was Tori’s last puppy class before she heads to formal training for @AmericasVetDogs later this month! We’re SO proud of her. pic.twitter.com/WKbjZigSVn— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) February 17, 2021
Last night’s NHL scores include the Panthers topping the Hurricanes in overtime, the Maple Leafs not losing to the Senators this time, and the Oilers grounding the Jets.
- Edmonton’s win also happened to be Connor McDavid’s 369th game, and he entered with 499 points. He recorded his 500th with an assist, matching Sidney Crosby’s games-to-reach-500-points total, tied for the eighth-fastest all-time. [NHL]
- Jacob Trouba left Tuesday’s game against the Devils with an injury. It turns out that he broke his thumb, so the Rangers will lose him for the next month or so. But Artemi Panarin should return soon. [ESPN AP]
- At Lake Tahoe this weekend, Nathan MacKinnon will try to equal his GM, Joe Sakic, on the golf course by acing a million-dollar shot. [NHL]