Not sure if I can take six versions of these close, back-and-forth, late-turning games against the Penguins. I do recognize it’s better than death and I’ll take what I can get. I’m not so cheered that their first non-Penguins tonic is the Bruins on Saturday.
The highlight goal by Mathew Barzal felt like the destined script for another big win. Then things changed, and ended in rather cruel ways.
Meanwhile: The league announced its much-teased increased Covid protocol from the league, referenced below.
- About last night, with a late gut punch and shootout loss: Some highlight goals, some tough empty-net luck and a blown lead, but a point earned. [LHH | Newsday | Isles]
- Fans returning to the Coliseum this month? No matter the number, the Islanders will be thrilled. [Newsday | Isles statement]
- Andrew Gross discusses the latest games (except last night) and the plan to bring fans back to the Coliseum. [Island Ice]
Last night’s other NHL scores included lots of games, but none in our division because everyone’s in quarantine.
- This was hinted at in the 31 Thoughts linked yesterday, but the new NHL and NHLPA protocols to prevent coronavirus outbreaks are pretty interesting, in that they are extensive and include families of players. They’re also similar to the kinds of restrictions many have been living with all along. [LHH]
- Your Daily Covid Drama: The NHL delayed the Oilers-Canadiens game by an hour to complete contact tracing after one (maybe two?) Oiler(s) joined the Protocol List. Edmonton won via shutout in Mike Smith’s return. [Sportsnet]
- The Avalanche are preparing to return after a long quarantine layoff and it shows. [NHL]
- Steve Sullivan, who’s been with the organization since 2014, has been terminated as assistant GM for the Coyotes. [NHL | Five for Howling]
- Will the NHL have a Draft Lottery? What will the draft look like? [TSN]
- Ol friend Robin Lehner, off to a tough start, has an upper body injury. [Sportsnet]