It will be Zach Parise’s return to Minnesota, but he stated that he has moved on, as covered in yesterday’s Bits.
First Islander Goal picks go in this link.
- First, a preview of tonight’s game in St. Paul. [Islanders] It seems like Semyon Varlamov will make his first start of the season. [Newsday]
- But last night was another Ilya Sorokin shutout. [NHL | Isles Rapid]
- He made 24 saves to do it. [LHH]
- But it was a full-team effort, as per Barry Trotz.
“I like the way we played. We had four lines going, our D was going, moving the puck and we had some timely saves.”— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) November 7, 2021
Trotz ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/6IOD7ZAjhB
- Anders Lee got back on the goal-scoring ledger, and Brock Nelson re-joined it. [Islanders]
- The SoroKing has three shutouts in nine games so far; he has been working on a shutout into the final twelfth of the game in each of the Islanders’ five wins. [Newsday]
- Lots of fun stuff in the NYI Skinny about the Isles’ current run, but perhaps the most impressive: Sorokin has not allowed a goal in 16 of his last 21 periods.
- Ryan Pulock has a sign in his honor in his hometown of Grandview, Manitoba. He calls it an “honor.” [Islanders]
Last night’s NHL scores include the Calgary Flames destroying the New York Rangers (hehe) while Jacob Markstrom recorded his league-leading fourth shutout (boo!). Also, tonight’s opponent, the Wild, tied their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins with less than three seconds remaining and then won in the shootout, while the Florida Panthers knocked the Carolina Hurricanes from the ranks of the unbeaten.
- Flames fans also mercilessly booed Adam Fox, who spurned Calgary (and Carolina) in forcing his bratty way onto the Rangers. [Sportsnet]
- The Chicago Blackhawks have fired coach Jeremy Colliton; the former Islander was replaced by another former Islander, Derek King. [NHL]
- Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Mikhail Sergachev was suspended two games for a check to the head of Toronto Maple Leafs winger Mitch Marner. [NHL]
- The Ottawa Senators named Brady Tkachuk captain. [TSN]
- The Montreal Canadiens will get back Carey Price as he exits the Player Assistance Program. [ESPN]
- The Seattle Kraken’s new minor league franchise: the Coachella Valley Firebirds. [ESPN]
- And finally, Mike Babcock is back coaching—at the University of Saskatchewan. [Sportsnet]