The New York Islanders are in Winnipeg for a back-to-back swing through the Central Division’s 2nd- and 3rd-place teams. First up is the Jets (6-2-2) followed by Zach Parise’s return to Minnesota Sunday vs. the Wild (6-3-0).
Leave your First Islanders Goal pick for tonight here.
Here’s Barry Trotz’s availability, where he praised the Jets as a Cup contender. First question was about Semyon Varlamov, who is expected to start one of the games this weekend, though of course Trotz wouldn’t say which one, though about 6 minutes in, he did expand on what goes to their decision:
Trotz Pregame Availability pic.twitter.com/aLatTA5KA3— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) November 6, 2021
- Official site game preview. [Isles]
- Parise’s return to Minnesota is a chance for fans to say goodbye, but he says he’s moved on. [NHL | Athletic]
- Trotz knows J-G Pageau is a handy multi-tool, so he’s trying to get the Pageau Train more minutes. [Newsday]
- Both Pageau and Parise have enjoyed developing chemistry with young sniper Oliver Wahlstrom. [Isles]
- Down in Bridgeport, the defensive depth is a boon. [AHL]
- The case for Brock Nelson, Olympian. [Athletic]
- Tonight’s opponent is playing a home back-to-back, after destroying the Blackhawks on Friday night. [Free Press]
- The Jets are rolling and off to their best start as they begin a long homestand, but they feel like they’ve yet to hit their stride. [Free Press]
Four years ago...where did YOU fall on the whole “Isles should get Duchene” drama?
Matt Duchene was traded 4 years ago (getting pulled off the ice in Brooklyn).— Eric Hornick (@ehornick) November 6, 2021
Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t make - certainly true from an #Isles perspective here (even more so now than when @StapeAthletic wrote this) pic.twitter.com/YxOGM5vUJ3
Last night’s other NHL scores include the Rangers and Devils losing in overtime. Tonight’s schedule features an unprecedented battle of undefeateds (in regulation), Hurricanes vs. Panthers recreating an old Southeast Division tilt.
- With an amazing goal even by his standards, Connor McDavid embarrassed the Rangers on a night that a bunch of Oilers greats were in attendance. [YouTube | Sportsnet] No big deal, just doing his job. [TSN Twitter]
- The Blue Jackets will be without former Jet Patrik Laine for 4-6 weeks. [NHL]
- The Capitals have lost Anthony Mantha to shoulder surgery. [NHL]
- With Justin Holl a healthy scratch, it seems the Leafs are trying to unload a defenseman. [Athletic]