Absolutely nothing is going right for the Islanders right now - losses, injuries and COVID cases are piling up. But there is a new arena to talk about...
Mike and Dan look at the two losses to the Flames and Maple Leafs over the weekend and the shocking loss of players due to a rash of positive COVID tests right before game time. Already without Ryan Pulock, the Islanders have now lost Brock Nelson to injury, making the climb out of their early season hole even harder. Some of the circumstances are due to rotten luck and poor timing, but issues within the team’s play are also hurting them on the ice.
Once they finish grieving, they look at the opening of the spectacular UBS Arena and Mike gives a full report of his home opener experience. He talks about some of the noticeable and less noticeable features, and the overall classiness of what feels like an Islanders Theme Park.
Along the way they look for a hidden speakeasy, say goodbye to relocation rumor mongers and make their case for being added to the Islanders Hall of Fame selection committee.
- Lou delivering the bad news but also trying to stay positive.
Lou Lamoriello's media availability ahead of today's practice. pic.twitter.com/8JvRZ38mPZ— New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) November 23, 2021
- Make sure to follow @LhhPodcasts on Twitter for all Lighthouse Hockey audio releases, news and announcements.
- Vintage Ice Hockey.com has t-shirts, hoodies, mugs and more featuring over 100 classic hockey logos Each top quality item is shipped fast, and the product pages have trivia notes you can get lost in. Vintage Ice Hockey also carries our Al Arbour tribute shirts, and our portion of the sales are donated directly to the Center for Dementia Research in the name of the coach. Use the code LIGHTHOUSE15 at checkout to save 15% on your order.
- Betway is the official betting partner of the NHL. Play Big Pick for free or play for real (residents in NJ, PA, CO, ID, IA only). Please play responsibly.
- Try wines from The Pinot Project. Delicious Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio and Rose, all under $15. Available at local wine shops and at UBS Arena.
Please subscribe, download, rate, review or spread the word about Islanders Anxiety and all of our Lighthouse Hockey podcasts any way you can. All of it helps to raise the show's profile and maybe could get us a fancy sponsor to sell out to in the near future. And if you give us an iTunes review, write a comment here or even send us a tweet, we might just read it on our next show.
Theme song: "Sports" by Josh Spacek.
Closing Song: “Walking on a Thin Line” by Huey Lewis and The News.
You can subscribe to Islanders Anxiety in any podcast app. Use either the app’s search function or enter our RSS feed.
Hosting for SB Nation podcasts is provided by Megaphone.